DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 12:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 16:57 

Forgive my ignorance but I've been tinkering around with a couple supply designs using the Hammond PSU II tool. As I've mentioned, for visual appeal alone I'm interested in the ST bottles and trying to come up with something that will work for my KT88 SE project. While simulating different rectifiers I see that the tool makes a distinction between 5U4G and 5U4-G. I honestly have tried to surf the web for info but I'm not seeing any definitive information. Is this perhaps an error?

Thank you for the consideration.

5U4-G
PIV - 1550V
IFSM - 99A
IFRM - 0.8A

5U4G
PIV - 1000V
IFSM - 10A
IFRM - 2A

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 18:38 
Project Author

The tool looks messed up.

All 5U4s have a 1550 PIV. The 5U4G (5X4G, 5Z3) has a SSPPC of 675mA. However, Sylvania rated their 5U4G with a SSPPC of 800mA. The 5U4GB SSPPC is 1000mA (1A). Transient peak plate current for the 5U4G is 4A. For the 5U4GB, it is 4.6A. The voltage drops are different. See the data sheets or the table in my article for details.

This is one of the reasons I don't like canned tools and SPICE. You can never be sure of what is in the component models and how the calculations are preformed.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 21:23 

I thank you,

I had thought that the rectifiers would have been rather solidly baked in the off-the-shelf tools. This will make a little more work for me but I'll be better for it. I wasn't sure if there was a variation of the tube that I wasn't aware of yet.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 19:54 

Since we're on the subject of rectifiers...
I have a mystery rectifier that I hope someone can identify. I've posted some pictures. Other than 5R4WGB, I don't have any other octal rectifiers to compare this one to. Most of the markings have been rubbed off, but I can see that they are orange, so I'm thinking maybe RCA. The plates are about 2" long. The internal structure looks significantly different to that of the 5R4WGB "potato masher". I suppose that it could be a non-"WGB" version. I tried comparing it to pictures found on the web, but it's really hard to tell. The getter ring is on the side, between the two plates. It has triple mica insulators, so probably military. And it looks to be unused.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 20:37 
Project Author

Hi, It looks like a 5U4GB to me.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 19:32 
Project Author

Because the 5U4GB is the only tube which doesn't flash-over in my 300B amp I bought two NOS NIB Silvanias to use in it. I am yet to try them. My 300B burnt out its power tranni. I have an Edcor one to replace it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7