DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 11:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 18:26 
Webmaster

Suncalc wrote:
Gio; What are the chances of posting the PDf as a downloadable file? :lightbuilb:

Hi Folks, here is the PDF: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/T ... pplies.pdf (1.5MB)

There is also a link at the bottom of the web page: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/T ... -Supplies/

Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 18:56 

Matt, I just read through part 1 of your article on power supplies and had some questions. Have you ever tested your supplies using PSUD2? How would go about designing a supply using SS circuitry? This morning I was looking at another web page on power supplies and wondered your opinion on Minimum Limiting Resistance as referenced on the link?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 13:02 
Project Author

Well, first... I don't use the Duncan Amp tools because I run a Mac and don't have the hardware necessary at home. I have played with some of them at work and they seem ok. I just don't really have the need.

As to the Valve Wizard article, I think the most important points are those not mentioned. These are "standby switches" and "inrush current". The reason for the minimum anode series resistance is to limit inrush current. These are current spikes at turn-on which can cause arcing and or cathode stripping in the rectifier.

First we can usually discount cathode stripping. This really only becomes an issue as voltages exceed 1000v. Secondly, inrush current is really only a problem if the rectifier is already at full temperature before the high voltage is applied to the plates. (i.e. if there is a standby switch.) So the simple solution is to avoid the standby switch (which is really only needed if there are extended warmup times required, such as with mercury rectifiers or high precision temperature controlled equipment) and apply the rectifier filament voltage and anode voltages at the same time. Then the transformer secondary resistance will be sufficient to prevent problems so long as the first capacitor is kept to a reasonable value. If you do decide to include a standby switch, check the minimum resistance from the tube data sheet and design the PSU accordingly.

As for the SS supply, you can use the exact same procedure I outlined in the article. However, just assume no voltage drop in the rectifier. Everything else is the same. Just be sure to keep the first capacitor small (<50µf) so that the conduction angle doesn't get too small. Other wise excessive transformer heating will result.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 07:01 

Thank you Matt. Exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 14:36 

Hello!

This adapter tube EZ81 would like to build.
Attachment:
tápegység.jpg

The transformer secondary voltage that varies 260-0-260?
B1, B2, B3 voltage remains the same.
Thank you for your answer and for your help!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 17:50 
Project Author

As is occasionally my want, I have added yet another rectifier tube. The new one is the 5T4. It's very similar in operation to the 5U4GB. Take a look.
Attachment:
plot.png
Attachment:
Table.png

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 00:07 

Thanks for presenting the table for the chart. Unfortunately, with my limited color vision, some of the lines on your chart appear too close in color and I can't discern the differences. - I'm not color blind, just deficient. Makes reading resistor codes interesting (made repairing TVs interesting, too ;) )

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 02:28 

A few of us have a case of "Old Man" :D

I have a custom colour/contrast memory on my monitor that's good for these. Does yours too, Les?

Many thanks for the graphs, Matt!

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 10:21 

Geek wrote:
A few of us have a case of "Old Man" :D

I have a custom colour/contrast memory on my monitor that's good for these. Does yours too, Les?

Many thanks for the graphs, Matt!

LOL!
My laptop which is running Vista has a couple things for visually impaired, but nothing that helps color deficiency. Not a lot of control over contrast or hue on the laptop. Now my desktop, which now collects dust, has a high end graphics card and I have a lot more control over the video. But it's kind a hard to utilize that on my lap. ;)

As far as having a case of "old man", yeah, I can relate. My eyeballs seem to have gotten longer over the years - gotta hold things a little further away ;)

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 22:02 
Project Author

Sorry Les, it is a little busy and out of order. :blush:

So... you have given me the impetus I needed to rearrange my spreadsheet. Take a look at these new plots. Now the first line on the left in the plot (5Y3) corresponds to the first item in the legend. Then as the lines progress down and left, the corresponding legend items progress left to right, top to bottom. This way if you can't make out the colors (many are similar), you can just count lines and legend items to match things up.

Attachment:
plot.png
Attachment:
table.png

I should really have know that all those colors would be getting hard to distinguish. I cheat when I look at the spreadsheet because I can selecting a line or table column and the corresponding item (column or line) will also highlight. I should have spent more time with just the graphics.

Let me know if this helps. I could also send you a copy of the spreadsheet if you'd like.

Cascade Tubes Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next