DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 12:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 01:37 

Use a NOS rectifier for best sound . Try hunting down a few 5Z3 (5U4G on UX4 base) . Cheaper than a modern production 5U4G and no doubt better sounding

BDA

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 18:57 
Webmaster

Matt was kind enough to put together an article about Power Supply Design for Vacuum Tube Amplifiers and we have added it to the site.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/T ... -Supplies/

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 22:07 

Awesome!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 12:54 

I recently tested a couple of 866a and one of them is fully "silvered" when cold and even when warm and working for about 30min with a load it still does not clear

That said it works perfectly and has a drop down voltage aprox 3v lower than the others i tested.

Could it be that it just has alot of mercury or is it some thing i should worry about

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: MV Tube Rectifiers
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 00:06 

I don't see any issues with MV rectifiers if placed in a circuit properly.
I personally love their menacing blue flicker in the dark :)

I'm about to embark on a quite large build, but my first priority is the power supply before anything else!
The power supply will be separated from the mono blocks ( weight issues ) as there will be a lot of iron on top of that box...
2 x 600V 2A transformers tapped every 50V plus the heater transformers for the bias and heater transformers for the HV plus the Giant PIO caps and the Two 5-10H chokes.
Expecting power supply to be in the 60+ pound range!
The main reason for that is that my HV rectifiers will be FOUR 866AX NOS tubes i picked up from a local guy :)
the bias supply will be FOUR 5U4GB to feed the power hungry KT88 ( KT120 latter ) Quartet on each mono block.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 10:36 
Project Author

Hi Matt, Great write up. :thumbsup: For lots of reasons, I use fast SS rectifiers in my projects, but tubes certainly could work. This is particularly true as they are class A amps and the required B+ current is both known and consistent.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 03:08 

Whats the absolute maximum ratings for the 5U4 ?

The 866A's broke in transit from the north end... He wasn't happy that he was out $350, but i do have to call him a dill hole as he just laid them in a box with nothing in between them and tossed them into the trunk :/

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 13:38 
Project Author

5U4GB Ratings:

PIV: 1500V
Steady State Peak Plate Current: 1000mA
Tranisent Peak Plate Current 4.6A

For other ratings see the GE Data sheet: http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/5/5U4GB.pdf

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 16:36 

Matt,

Do you have a pdf from your great PSU tutorial? :)

Cheers!

Miguel

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 21:17 
Project Author

HT Performance wrote:
Do you have a pdf from your great PSU tutorial?
Yes I do. I'll send you a message.

Gio; What are the chances of posting the PDf as a downloadable file? :lightbuilb:

Cascade Tubes Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next