DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Apr 2021, 09:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 16:36 
Project Author

This preamp is a stereo unit, and yes I did try it with headphones but it did not drive them very well (obviously!). This entire unit can be put into a single chassis with no problems what so ever, and actually I recommend going this route for those wishing to build this preamp because you will have lower noise in doing so.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009, 21:55 

Hi Alan - would these 12V transformers work for the preamp power supply:
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/12V_ ... rmers.html

I'm not understanding which 2 should be used for wiring them back to back for the power supply --

Or, if you think it would be easier, which 120V power transformer would work? I'm not understanding all of the variables/options on the Hammond web site --

Thanks for your help--
Reed

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 13:27 
Project Author

I would recommend using a 500mA and an 300mA for the HV supply, but I would still recommend a single 262D12 Hammond transformer, it has a 120V 53mA winding for the HV and a 12.6V 450mA winding for the tube filaments, and they cost $25-$30.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 14:51 

I was just wondering, Is the variable resistor and LED a required component or is it just an indicator that I can leave out?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 17:38 
Project Author

I would like to make this very clear.... It has nothing to do with the audio circuit itself!! it is an indicator!!!!!! :mad: The pot is there to vary the brightness, and the resistor is there so I don't blow up the LED. ;)

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 21:55 

Is the 262D12 Hammond transformer discontinued? cant seem to find it anywhere?

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 10:26 
Project Author

It shouldn't be, I looked on the Hammond website and it is still listed. I would call them or email them to find out, you might be able to order straight from them if you cant find it any where.

Actually, Parts Connection has it for $28.93 : http://www.partsconnexion.com/t/catalog ... rmers.html

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 13:16 

OK, so I'm a doofus. I want to build this but I'm somewhat new with tubes. I see a schematic for a mono pre-amp or half a stereo pre-amp. Looks pretty easy, but I'd like to do a tube rectifier. Maybe a 6x4? Would this work with a 120V PS? Or does a 6x4 need more voltage to work?

what I'd like to have is a tube pre-amp with exposed tubes and an ipod dock.

EDIT: I want it to have RCA inputs and an ipod dock. It'll be in a bigger box because I want to use a remote control attenuator. I see these are now commonly available. So, the attenuator would be on the RCA input, but I'm not sure how to wire in the ipod dock. would there have to be switch in the input ckt to keep the two inputs from interfering with each other or feeding current into the output ckts of each other? So both sources would be wired to the switch which would feed into the attenuator?

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 13:04 

Little slow around here on the weekends?

Anyway, why not use this gizmo for the ipod dock? mount it in the top, plug in the mini-jack, cut off the cable wherever I need to.

see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0309734471

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 20:39 
Project Author

Sorry about the slow response, indeed the weekends can be a bit busy, ither working on a project or because it is spring there are gardening tools that need sharpening and lawns that need mowing.... anyways, if you want to use a rectifier tube on this preamp, you will also need two 4007 diodes to make a full wave bridge to get 120-150V.

use my 25EH5 amplifier schematic as a reference: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=216

As for the ipod dock, I have never actually tried wiring one up to a preamp permanently, I have used the output jack on the one that I have, but that is all. I do how ever have plans to make a Moebius 6AQ5 preamp with a docking bay built in, but until I finnish other projects It is on hold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next