DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 11:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 16:40 
Project Author

I miteas-well post something since many people may have questions on the construction of the DIY 12AU7 Tube Preamplifier I built. I've gotten some mod ideas from my uncle that include building a docking bay into the preamp for my ipod. The plan is to remove the docking bay from a cheap boom box, use the analogue output and apply it to the preamp. I think I might build a second one to do this, since I would rather not dissect my functional preamp as it works just fine as is.

You may post any questions you wish and I will answer them when I get time.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 21:53 

If you want to DIY the Ipod Dock, this fellow posted a schematic of his ipod dock that is also connected to is Mono Block Amp from S5:

http://kurtisb.awardspace.com/

And I have plenty of questions, but I will ask them when i have my work table set up.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 16:57 
Project Author

That is a neat system, I like his idea of using solid maple, the setup for the ipod dock is simpler than I was expecting, hopefully that applies to the newer second version of the nano, now I just need to get a plug for it.

Thanks for the info. :sing:

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 01:06 

Do you have the part #s or location you got the transformers from?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:49 
Project Author

I go to partsconnection, but any other seller of Hammond transformers will do, all you need is 120V @25mA and 6.3V at 1A or so, or two 12V trannies back to back will also work.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 22:00 

Sorry for the newbie question -- but where is the volume potentiometer mounted on the preamp?
I really need a preamp for my tube amps and this looks like a great project!
Thanks!
Reed

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 15:48 
Project Author

Oh, yes, on the original schematic there is a 100K pot at the input, in my case though, I decided it was not necessary to install a volume control because I used my ipod to control it, thus was able to make the preamp very compact. I should have made a pcb for mine because I barely had enough room to fit everything inside.

Feel free to ask any questions you like about construction and parts selection, that is what this post is for.
Attachment:
inside mini tube preamp(small).jpg
Attachment:
Inside mini tube preamp2(small).jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 11:03 

Hi Alan -
I'm going to try laying out the preamp circuit on a breadboard -- question for you:

are all resistors 1watt? (with the exception of the 1M pot)

In the upper left hand corner of your schem -- there is a 200k resistor -- there is a 330k resistor to the right of it -- they are joined with an arrow ie:

200k <--- 330k

what does LED adj refer to?

Thanks
Reed

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 18:09 
Project Author

The resistors can all be 1/4 watt but 1/2 watt resistors would be more suited, and as for the led with the variable resistor, it is there to controls the brightness and is of no real importance, a single 100K resistor can be used instead.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 17:33 

Quick newbie question sorry.

So is this a mono or stereo preamp? You said you were going to make it for a headphone amp, but that would require 3 tubes and they wouldn't fit. If it's just mono why are there 2 inputs and outputs in the picture? Also, if i were to build a stereo version of this preamp twice as big, how would the power supply be affected? Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next