DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 02:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2010, 22:02 
Project Author

Please feel free to ask your questions and post comments about the ForeWatt Tube Preamplifier (DIY ECC802S (12AU7 / ECC82) Vacuum Tube SRPP Preamplifier) project in this thread.

Attachment:
ECC802S-Valve-SRPP-Preamplifier-Project.jpg

PROJECT LINK - ForeWatt: DIY ECC802S (12AU7 / ECC82) Vacuum Tube SRPP Preamplifier

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 14:04 

Hallo everybody,

I have been using the ForeWatt pre amp for a long time now, and I must say, it sounds fabulous. If you need a good sounding line stage pre amplifier with little distortion, this is the one to build. Thanks Bruce, for this excellent pre amplifier and making it available to all of us.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 02:04 

Bruce, can you give some additional data on the remote unit you are using, such as source (retailer) and specs? I am using a NAD T163 currently to drive my OddBlocks, but would like the quality of the project described. Thanks, and six months on the Oddblocks. Genalex Kt88's settled down, and rarely do I need to tweak the bias. They are usually spot on. I used passive bi-wiring. suggested by another user of this site, to drive Klipsch RF-7s. I just can't imagine the sound getting better, especially on an average man's salary. Thanks again for your contributions.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 16:52 

If you go to the project page, in the section where Bruce describes the remote control module, there is a link to the vendor. Not much in the way of specs; the vendor is in Hong Kong.

Here it is again: http://diyclub.biz/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=195

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 14:51 

Hallo everybody,

here is the beginning of my ForeWatt pre amplifier, the Dutch version. Things are going slow, since I am very ill, but I am happy about how it turns out. I am using vintage cloth wire for the first time, difficult to work with, but very nice. Here are the first pics.
Attachment:
IMG_1420.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1421.jpg

Attachment:
behind.jpg

Attachment:
ForeWatt.jpg

I know how this amplifier sounds, I had one before. Thanks Bruce, for this great sounding pre amp and for giving it to all of us.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 00:14 

Ben, your wiring is a work of art, as usual. Why use cloth covered wire? I know it is "traditional" but as you say, it is a pain in the patooty to work with. I like teflon insulated silver wire myself. It's not easy to strip but there are no frayed strings to deal with.

The chassis in your pics is gorgeous! Can you describe it for us? I appears to be a wood veneer top over a metal chassis, but looks can be deceiving.

I'm trying to duplicate the really cool tube "cages" Bruce showed in his project page. So far I've drilled out some 3-4mm aluminum discs which I plan to connect with brass rods.

You have mentoned that you are ill; my psychic powers do not extend to the Netherlands from the US, so all I can say is, I hope you are taking care of yourself and your soul, and letting others care of you as well. I enjoy your passion for the "art of the tube" and hope it brings you as much joy as we sense from your posts on the forum. Please be well, friend!
Lofton

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 09:19 

Hallo everybody,

those are just cigar boxes, nothing special, after sanding and painting and with a little bit of skill, they look like this, but it is very thin wood and it is rather fragile. In my house, no problem, no kids, it will last forever, but if you drop it once, it may shatter into pieces. I like wood, because as a cripple it is easier for me to drill holes in wood than in metal, that is maybe the main reason why I work with little wooden boxes. But thanks for the compliment, I like how it turns out a lot, too, IMHO it is maybe my nicest build so far.

As for the vintage cloth wire, it is just me being crazy for once. The roll is 13 €, in fact it is just regular silver plated copper wire, rather stiff. It is a pain in the butt to work with, actually, not true, now I know how to, just cut the cloth carefully with a Stanley knife. It looks great, just building time went up a lot. I am not gonna use this as standard, but for once, why not.

I got the PSU board installed, time to screw in a few terminal strips and wire that thing up. I like to put the PSU on a board, that is nice and save and has nothing to do with the signal. But since I do that, my builds are much cleaner and tidier than before. I like point to point wiring, good point to point wiring, but I like PC board construction, too, so combining both is a pretty good choice, IMHO.

The Russian 6H8C are similar to our 6SN7 and those are close enough to the ECC802S for this to fly without changing anything around, just wonder how it will sound, well some more hours and I will find out. It does look good, my octal ForeWatt.

As for the remote control, I am not using the same thing Bruce uses, I got an universal remote control and her name is Rebecca..... :D

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 20:13 
Editor

The preamp is looking great Ben. Nice work! :smoking:
I love the hand etched HT regulator boards.
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 13:26 

Hi everybody,

here I ran into the first problems, I don't have enough voltage overhead for the 6 volt controller to work. Well, uncontrolled DC it's gonna be. I use one voltage dropper diode and 4700 uF before and 4700 uF after the diode, that should still be ok. The whole thing is wired as if I use AC heating anyway, twisted wires and they don't cross any sensitive wires or parts. Later tonight I will post some more pics, tomorrow I will be able to listen to it.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 07:53 

Hi everybody,

after checking with Bruce, I believe I am fine with my unregulated DC. I am almost finished, over a couple of hours I can listen to it for the first time. The wire I am using looks good, it makes building really some sort of art, I am bending every piece of wire till it fits perfect and then solder it. It is not more difficult, just more time consuming, but time is all I got, haha. Here is how it looks now.

My DIY Audio Projects:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next