DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Apr 2015, 23:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Absolute beginner
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 09:17 

Hi there.

I am a complete beginner in the field of amp building, but nonetheless i have decided to build one.
I have no experience and no knowledge on building electronics at all, but i do however have a relative who do and this project will be a joint venture. He's contributing knowhow and skills, and i will be the one paying both the money, and the attention required.
It should be said that he doesn't have any experience in tube amps per se, but a general knowledge of electronics.

My wish is to build an integrated tube amp i can use with my turntable, furthermore it should also contain a headphone output and an AUX input.

I have three questions regarding the project:

Is it possible to cram all these features into one tube amp?

Are there any pros/cons in cramming all these features into one amp?

What should i be beware of? (other than the dangers of building high voltage electronics)

Amplified greetings

Jakob

Post subject: Re: Absolute beginner
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 19:13 
Editor

Hi Jakob,
That is possible, but it would be a very ambitious first project. For high performance the main concern I would have is noise around the RIAA (Phono) preamp section.

Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 21:03 
Project Author

Hi Welcome to the forum. We all started somewhere. I agree it is a bit ambitious for a first project. Hum and noise in tube phono preamps are often serious problems for a first time builder (and many more advanced ones as well). The amount of experience needed to do a high quality job is IMO pretty high. Even now I don't always get it right on the first try. A second reason for not putting the phono preamp stage in the integrated amp is because audio guys often change their mind on what they want for the phono section to sound like. It is common practice now to not build it in thus allowing the user to find an external one that suits his tastes. As tastes change or you change phonograph cartridges (perhaps an upgrade) it is not uncommon to want to replace the phono preamp as well. With a built in one it is difficult or impossible to make such a change. I have one integrated all tube preamp with a built in phono section but I normally only use external ones.

I would recommend building the integrated amplifier and at least initially buying a modest external phono preamp and see where it leads you.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 06:11 

The main reason for this project is that my current amp, a old yamaha stereo amp from the 90'ies, is big, ugly and unreliable. I probably could get it fixed quite cheap, but that won't fix the big and ugly issues.

The reason i want this tube amp to contain all these features, is that i would like to avoid to make more than one amp at the time, and that money is a bit of an issue. That and i think that my girlfriend would prefer to only have one of those "ugly hi-fi thingies". (She does like music, but doesn't appreciate good sound)

What would a alternative to my original plan look like?

@gofar99 Your suggestion is an a-okay one, but will it then be possible for it to have in/outputs for headphones/AUX?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 08:56 
Project Author

With all that in mind....I believe I would go for a vintage used amp (or receiver) and not build one. There are many available in all price ranges. I personally prefer the ones made by Marantz just before Superscope (Sony) took them over. The solid state ones from about 1970 to 1978 are excellent. Not expensive either. The earlier tube ones cost a fortune. The later ones up to about 2005 are rather undistinguished. Newest ones are fine. Most have the features you desire. Pass on the HT versions. Many frills and not as much substance.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 10:42 

Bear in mind that the building part is as much a wish for me as getting a tube amp. It started out with me wanting a tube amp, but now the whole process is as much a part of it. And as i said, i have this relative, he's an engineer of some sort, who has tons of experience in building DIY amps and speakers, just not tube amps.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 18:02 

You could always build a clone of a vintage amp as you described. As for building anything with sand aka solid state. Sand is best left at the beach.