DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2019, 01:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 16:47 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I have been getting a lot of questions about my "Beauty" 12AX7 tube preamp (on the main web site) recently. That's great. Most questions are about the power supply and some on availability of parts. Unfortunately the company that provided the parts back then is no longer in business. So much for the bad news. The good news is that it is a fairly simple preamp and can be done point to point. The power supply in the project is a SMPS. There is no reason that a conventional PS can't be used. You can find schematics for this kit on Mark's 12AX7 Tube Preamplifier Kit project page. It is a good project and in answer to some other questions, it originally was a guitar preamp so there is a schematic for that as well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 22:09 

Bruce and friends,

Parts are actually still available, albeit from a different source, through RCS Radio. Specifically, 12AX7 Tube Preamplifier page. From there you will find a link to the available board list, which is a large text file. Simply search for 01111031 (the PreAmp Board) and 01111032 (the power supply board). From what I could find only the boards are available, there are no kits.

I would be interested in joining in on a group purchase if we can generate enough interest. My work load at RIT prohibits me for organizing and managing the purchase and distribution. Maybe someone else can intercede? Any volunteers?

Thanks for reading.

Alan

Update: Links above all still work. However RCS Radio has a new home.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 17:57 

I am interest, I have been hoping to find a kit of this build or something similar, but I don't think I am going to have much luck with that. At 12.00AU (8 American, according to Google) I can live with having to find the right components on my own. I guess this would all come down to Shipping rates, but I am curious to see.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 19:38 
Project Author

Hi Alan, Everyone, That's a good find. The parts to build the preamp sections are rather common. As I always recommend, use quality coupling capacitors. I built mine with the volume control on the input side to prevent overload from high output signal sources. Others have put it at the output side. Either will work. The preamp is so quiet, that the noise at the output is not really a factor when driving your power amps. The choice depends on the sensitivity of the power amps and the levels of signal that the sources provide. It is possible that if you have tube power amps that you can steal the power for the preamp from them rather than build a PS for the preamp alone.

Thanks for finding the board source. I'm sure it will benefit others.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 22:06 

Bruce,

I just did a reread of your original project post. Have you done a comparison of the original "Beauty" to an Auricap'd version? Any updates on relayed inputs or remote volume controls?

Thanks,

Alan

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 01:08 

Hello all, noob here.

Working on building one of these with the schematic. Normally I wouldn't even attempt anything with tube, but I managed to find a set of Sylvania 12AX7A laying around in a box at work so I figure I'd use them. Not sure what there status is.. Heaters are ~15Ohm that's all I know. I'm gonna 'attempt' to do a point to point build using either SCR/Solen or Axon (don't know when I got these or if they are even any good) capacitors. Also I was going to use a traditional power supply compared to the SMPS. Looking at the Antek AN-1T200 transformer, with a MUR860 rectifier bridge (ordering some for another project anyway).

-Greg

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 13:58 
Editor

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum.
AN-1T200 transformer and MUR860 are fine. I don't think there would be much (if any) cost savings but you could also do with a smaller transformer and 1A diodes like UF4006.
Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 15:59 

Thanks Gio.

I'm still reading through the NEETS material to better understand these things. Probably wont get around to ordering parts till end of the month or so.

Greg

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 16:09 

megamahi wrote:
I'm gonna 'attempt' to do a point to point build using either SCR/Solen or Axon (don't know when I got these or if they are even any good) capacitors.

Greg,

Curious about going with P 2 P. You are aware that the boards for this project are available still?

Alan

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 17:19 

I'm using a traditional PSU, no-smps, so that's not hard to do manually and dead-bug the diodes or make a small board to carry the diodes and caps. I figure why not, I'm already deviating from the power supply.

Greg

PS @booangler: ECTET Computer Engineering Tech. '13

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next