DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 07:12 

WoW. Thankyou.
I did suspect there was a gaping hole in my knowledge somewhere here.
And you just started to fill it in.
Yeah I have been scratching my head over this I can tell you.
I could not understand how so many from you to JC morrison and JELabs could have it so wrong.
Is there anywhere you recommend to do more reading to be able to understand this better?
For example how do you calculate roughly, just how much extra voltage you can expect to be
compensated for ? How did you know there would be enough?

cheers ,
Paul.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 16:30 
Project Author

Paul wrote:
Is there anywhere you recommend to do more reading to be able to understand this better?
That depends...

If you've had a class in calculus then I highly recommend "Theory and Application of Electron Tubes" by Herbert Reich available here "http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/reich.pdf" (37Mb so don't just click; download the linked file).

If you haven't had a class in calculus then I recommend "Principles of Electron Tubes" by Herbert Reich available here "http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/reich_principles.pdf" (18Mb so don't just click; download the linked file).

There is lots of good stuff available at "http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm". Poke around and you'll find some other good stuff.

I also strongly recommend Richard Kuehnel's books "Vacuum Tube Circuit Design: Guitar Amplifier Preamps" and "Vacuum Tube Circuit Design: Guitar Amplifier Power Amps" available here "http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Kuehnel/e/B002M91X94/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1" as of this writing. You can also get them from Antique Electronics Supply. These are very down to earth but do tend to focus on Guitar amplifiers rather than simple music reproduction. But I still have copies on my bookshelf.

I hope this helps.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 19:39 

Thanks Matt,
those links are a rich source. A bit more than I need to understand it though.
v=L di / dt is enough. drop the current quickly and create an opposing emf that adds
to the anode volts,,, will do me :) .
What amazes me is how hopeless morgan jones is, 2nd edition of his book anyway.
I think he initially creates the impression of building knowledge from the ground up,
but then you find him assuming buckets of knowledge. Back emf from inductors being
an example in point. I didn't find any mention of it in his single ended triode stuff.

chs,
Paul.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 20:02 
Project Author

Paul wrote:
What amazes me is how hopeless morgan jones is, ...
I have the third edition of his "Valve Amplifiers" book and lets just say that I have issues with it. There is some interesting information on various configurations but that's about as far as it goes. I would never recommend any of his books. There are much better resources available.

Actually I think that "Principles of Electron Tubes" should be pretty much required reading for anyone that wants to build tube amplifiers. It lays out virtually everything you need to know to truly understand what your building.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016, 00:35 

I am thinking of building a 300B amp. I can post pics and progress here.
But it won't be anywhere near as pretty as Marks! ;) just a pre warning.
He's into sound and looks. I only care about the sound, so I tend to lack
some polish on my projects :) . Anyway we'll see if I get the time etc yet...

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016, 03:00 
Project Author

Paul wrote:
I am thinking of building a 300B amp. I can post pics and progress here.
But it won't be anywhere near as pretty as Marks! ;) just a pre warning.
He's into sound and looks. I only care about the sound, so I tend to lack
some polish on my projects :) . Anyway we'll see if I get the time etc yet...

I think you would be amazed how little extra effort and thought is required to make an amp look as good as it should sound. There are plenty of examples of great looking DIY builds to get some ideas. A raw Al chassis with open frame trannies and full length pot shafts sticking out is not a pretty sight and I fell it dumps down the art. A mate makes my timber bases and a spray can colours my Al top plates. That's as hard as it gets.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016, 04:44 

mwhouston wrote:

A raw Al chassis with open frame trannies and full length pot shafts sticking out is not a pretty sight and I fell it dumps down the art.

its a free country brother,
beauty is in the ear and eye of the beholder ;)

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 11:15 

Paul wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

A raw Al chassis with open frame trannies and full length pot shafts sticking out is not a pretty sight and I fell it dumps down the art.

its a free country brother,
beauty is in the ear and eye of the beholder ;)

The eye of the beholder indeed.
I personally find the aluminum look to be rather visually appealing.. In my books you can have a refined look while keeping things kind of raw.
I've gone so far as to anodize my aluminum chassis, but even still I like a clear anodizing because I like the look of brushed aluminum that comes through.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 19:33 
Project Author

I have enjoyed the Silver Dragon ever since I swapped it back for a much less expensive pair of 6EM7 monoblocks. But a month or so back I re-sold the amp to a fellow audio club member who has a number of my creations including one of my T4 Class Ds. This beautifull big amp has gone to a good home and sounds extremely nice driving some Harbeth 40.2s.

After all these years of having the amp, and all the effort over nine months collecting high-end parts and building it and swearing I would never sell it, I really don't miss it. I thought I would. I guess when it is time to let go, then it is really time.

I'm currently quite distracted with Class D builds and a new tube project. That maybe why I'm not missing the amp. I'm sure my friend wouldn't mind me dropping in for a listen now and then if I'm really missing it. Time to move on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43