DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 01 Dec 2020, 19:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 16:53 
Project Author

The slight hum always apears in the right channel regardless of tube in socket. I notice with the 300BSEs one has a blue glow the other not. Once again regardless of which socket they are in. The tubes are perfectly matched according to the accompaning data.

I thought of using the phones to chase the hum. High impedance ex. military phones would be best. I've used AC heaters on preamps and had no problems. I would stick exactly to Matt's design if I build my own. Therefore DC regulated heaters.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 06:34 
Project Author

OK just because I have just purchased a pair of TJ Full Music 300BSE doesn't mean I'm going to build a Shiraz-Silver Dragon but I probably will. By the time you pay all the extra charges for purchasing over the internet and international transactions the price jumps by $70. I could buy two Golden Dragon 5U4Gs for that. Anywho the tubes cost $630 landed.

These are cheap. The better known Crème’-de-la-crème WE 300Bs re-issue, which come into production next year are USD$900. And you stand in line for an eternity to get a pair. And which will sound better? I have my money on TJ for no other reason than I have heard what they can do. AND I have held them in my hand which is like component S$e/X. They are an extremely attractive thermionic electronica.

About what they do. I'm struggling to but it into words. I can't put my finger on what it is that is SO alluring about the sound. Maybe when gear gets this good words just can't describe it??!!

While I gather components for the next Silver Dragon I may just knockup Matts other design for me the 807 amp. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2265

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 08:46 
Project Author

Matt: Just noticed you did not ground the negative of the speakers as many do? What is the reason for leaving them floating and is there a benefit in grounding?

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 09:28 
Project Author

In systems with a high power output and hence high speaker currents, or in systems utilizing post-output-transformer negative feedback, I would ground the common side of the speakers either for feedback reference or to dissipate inter-coil capacitive charge buildup. However in low power systems (i.e. less than 10W to 15W per channel into 8ohm speakers) without negative feedback I just don't think it's really necessary.

You could go ahead and ground the common sides of the outputs (I don't think it should have any effect on the sound quality) but i wouldn't bother. Personally I just like to keep the channels as independent as possible so If I don't have to ground the speakers, I won't.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 17:12 
Project Author

I have tried it, it did nothing. I prefer not to just wanted to know why. One amp I had would give you a shock (small) if one side was not to grnd. One trick I have seen and tried is putting an 8 or 15 ohm resistor between the two postive posts of the speakers. Moves the sound stage around and depending on the track has good or nad effects. Just a party trick nothing more.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 20:10 
Project Author

It's offcial: I'm building a Silver Dragon 300BSE. I was going to change some parts but I'm affraid it would not sound as good. I was going to use my Jensen Copper paper and oil caps for the inter-sage but then it could not be called a Silver Dragon. Copper Dragon doesn't have quite the ring. So Mundorf M-Tube poly filter caps have been ordered with the $204 each Audio Note Silver foil and Mylar. I will build the 807 though in the interim.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 07:51 
Project Author

The Silver Dragon has a new home. Qian was delighted with the amp. He never realy got super excited about the sound until we played some Opera. The barratone was very good but when the suprano really opened up he realised just how good it was. Qian's speakers are about 89db effecient but he played it very loud. I found it verging on unconfortable but I wanted to hear it that loud.

The amp sounded excellent and it worked well with his speakers and his massive 15" sub woofers in huge boxes. One of my BoZ (on top of his $10K Marantz SACD player) is the preamp for it. Also the room it is in is very big and though the amp should only put out 7.5W it filled the area to overflow with plenty left in the tank. Qian's towers are very nice and I understand the drivers are expensive but I have forgoten the name. Ron, where I took the amp last night, made new X-overs for them and changed the tweeter. Ron is also making a new set of speakers for Qian.
Attachment:
Qian1.jpg
Attachment:
Qian2.jpg
Attachment:
Qian3.jpg
Attachment:
Qian4.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 08:32 

Mark,

It looks like the input has been split. Possibly to send the signal to the subs?

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 17:38 
Project Author

That's right Dinesh. The output from BoZ goes to two plate amps to drive the subs. But soon Qian's old transistor class AB will be used for the subs amp soon. The two tower speakers will be replaced with smaller enclosures with a single 4" driver and tweeter leaving the bass work for the subs. A shame really his tower speakers sounded fantistic yesterday where I haven't really liked them in the past. I wouldn't be replacing them. I think they are all Scan-speak drivers or some other high-end driver.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 06:06 
Project Author

The tower speakers of Qian's have the Scanspeak 18W8545 woofer. The new box will have the 4" Scanspeak 12MU4731T00.

http://www.essentialaudio.com.au/contents/en-us/p941_Scan_Speak_12MU4731T00_Illuminator_Midrange_Loudspeaker.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 54  Next