DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 06:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 21:09 
Project Author

Hi, What is the transformer you are using? The specifications or drawing of the leads would be helpful.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 06:04 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, What is the transformer you are using? The specifications or drawing of the leads would be helpful.

Good listening
Bruce

I am using the EdcorXPWR083A. but that I understand. It is the 2014 power supply schematic. The 0v line after the LR8N.

Thanks
Steven

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 06:46 

Hi all
I think I may have confused things a little. It is not the transformer I am unsure about.
Its the 0v lines on the extreme right of the schematic that I posted above. I am unsure as to where they go.

Thanks
Steven

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 14:32 

Those 0v lines are extreme left right after regulator are connected to mains ground via 120r and 0.1uF, they are also connected to ground of unregulated b+. (regulator ground is also connected to Ground of 1uF and 100uF capacitors)

The power transformer is a single 200v ac one and uses a full bridge diode rectifier to get b+. Same as what you'd normally do to rectify a low voltage supply with say +9v ac.

The heater output has a resistor divider via 220k and 100k to create a high voltage refrence to bias up the heater voltage.
The heater circuitry will not become dmanged by this high voltage refrence because its floating.
All this means is that the 6.3v heater voltage developed becomes 100v to 106.3v with respect to b+ supply, if it is biased up to 100v.

This reduces the heater to cathode voltage preventing arcking and helps increase sound quality by reduing heater noise leaked into amp.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 14:56 

Thanks ILoveHiFi
I think I understand. The 0v lines connect to the ground line with the 1uf and 120R

Thanks
Steven

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 03:33 

Just not to confuse further: there are at least two grounds: a safety ground, directly connected to metal parts of the chassis/case and the mains ground, and a signal ground which integrates signal references from all stages, power references (0V) and so on. There were a lot of discussions about that in this and other threads, for example: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2448&p=52109&hilit=ground#p52109
Main idea: all circuits should be connected to the central point by only one wire (path). The signal ground and the safety ground should be connected together by one of the methods: directly, through RC-network, through a pair of diodes...

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 05:52 

Thanks Poty

I think I have got my head around it now after reading Bruce's article on grounding. The metal chassis will be grounded through the line filter body. The power supply ground through the 120ohm resistor and type X2 cap to the ground pin of the line filter. Input jacks by single wire to the power supply ground and the active circuitry again by single wire to the ground at the input jacks.
I'm hoping I have understood this correctly.

Also if I have 3 pairs of inputs is it ok to ground all 6 plugs in series or should left and right chanels be grounded seperatly or only one side (left or right) be grounded.

Thanks
Steven

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 07:37 

In most cases you can make some kind of "bus" connecting together all the RCAs inputs and outputs ground sides (by a low impedance wire like silver coated or so). You can connect all wires from other circuits to the "bus" in any point.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 07:44 

poty wrote:
In most cases you can make some kind of "bus" connecting together all the RCAs inputs and outputs ground sides (by a low impedance wire like silver coated or so). You can connect all wires from other circuits to the "bus" in any point.

That's great. thanks for your help

Steven

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 08:49 
Project Author

Hi, I use 12ga bare copper wire for a buss between the input and output jacks. I like to attach the circuitry gounds to the middle of it.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next