DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2018, 22:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 08:12 

love the wiring !! :mrgreen:

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 11:19 

Thanks for the compliment, I like it a lot, too. :) I kind of got used to it, gives it that vintage tough and I like old stuff. I am finished, well, I only can adjust B+ to 208 volts, so I have to exchange the two voltage droppers in the PSU against something a bit smaller, it is now 2,2k, I will go for 1,5k, that should give me sufficient overhead. 208 is just a tiny bit too low, if it would be 211 I would leave it right there, but it is not, so here I go. For the first testing and listening I will go with the 208 volts, need to get two 1,5k resistors tomorrow. Now I wanna hear it.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 16:46 
Project Author

Hey Ben, hey all.

Yep - Ben is a real wiring and etching ACE. I guess he takes himself a lot of time for the preparations and the layout.
IMO - one of the most important things at all.

Congrats Ben, i also like your work very very much!!!

[ger on] Bernd - da kann man schon tierisch neidisch werden! Gelernt ist halt gekonnt...Hut ab! [ger off]

Have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 05:45 

Hi Everybody,

First of all, do not use the same tubes I used, while they sound sweet, they are very sensitive to collecting noise out of the air and they draw twice as much heater current than our 9 pin dual triodes. I had this amplifier before with EEC802S, this is the much better choice, I had to do a lot of unorthodox things to make this work for me now. So if you need a pre amplifier, go ahead, this is an excellent choice, just stick to schematic. I built this one while staying in close contact to Bruce and he has been so very helpful as usual, but the tube choice was bad, after all. By using 9 pin miniature my 6 volt controller would have worked, that is how it started. Well project is finished and so am I, haha, time to listen to some music, will give my spouse some money to go shopping so I have the house to myself......

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 10:19 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, As usual Ben did a great job of the wiring and layout. Unfortunately the tubes he chose didn't cooperate. I have had similar experiences with 6SN7s. The circuit required a fair number of alterations to reduce the sensitivity to external noise. I won't say the ECC802S is a better tube, but IMHO it is a lot easier to use. For those who need more gain the 6DJ8/E88CC can be used with a few modifications. Be aware though that it has a slightly different pin arrangement and the cathode resistors need to be changed to 150 ohms. Also be aware that tube to tube and section to section matching may be an issue with some 6DJ8/E88CCs. I had to go through 6 brand new JJ tubes to get two that matched.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 11:58 

Hi everybody,

yes Bruce nailed it down, bad choice of tubes. I may wanna try the Russian 6N1P instead. I had very good luck with those tubes before and I really like the sound. Those are very close to our E88CC. I don't know, yet. :D

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2010, 10:06 

Hi everybody,

my ForeWatt is doing a great job playing in Rotterdam at my friend Paul's house, feeding his Marantz amplifier. He is a total Marantz crazy, but slowly he comes around to tubes (my fault). If you check out the picture, the ForeWatt is standing right next to his tube RIAA, also made by me, haha, so that is a start, isn't it? Well, now I gotta make him a ForeWatt with friendly permission of Bruce. Thanks Bruce. So I get to build it again, but I did learn my lesson and I will stick to schematic recommendation.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 21:54 
Project Author

Hi All, Thanks for the kind words about the preamp. Pretty nice set of gear in the photo, but I wouldn't put my turntable on top of the equipment. :?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 18:45 

Congratulations Ben! You really did a good job!

I cannot do such a good wiring down here! You´re the "Wiring Boss" for sure!!!

Cheers,
Miguel

P.S. - Sorry for the non-replied messages at MSN, i´ve been working too much... Hope to see you soon! :)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 23:59 

Kind of off subject, but I picked up a Marantz DV6500 as a used CD player ($1oo US). Initial retail at $650 US, and this thing is fantastic. Sony CD, Samsung DVD, Alpine in the car, all skip, this thing plows through these CDs, and rarely, if every, have I heard a skip. Sound quality is fantastic. I run a NAD T163, Bruce's KT88s (Genalex), and Klipsch RF-7s, through a NADY GEQ-215. Sorry, someone mentioned Marantz, and I just had to insert myself, these things are an awesome bargain. Looking forward to putting together one of these preamps, thanks again, Bruce. We all appreciate your contributions. Loving the amps.

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next