DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 19:21 
Project Author

Actually, I draw all my load lines in either Keynote (Apple) or Powerpoint (Microsoft) depending on whether I'm at work or at home. I just plop an image of the curves I want on a page and draw lines where I want them. The schematics are actually drawn manually in Appleworks. I know it's an old program but I like it because I can add anything I want, anywhere I want. Almost like a real sheet of paper.

Now for the good stuff. I've finished a power supply design. My decision to go with a lower voltage and higher current in the 807s almost tanked the power supply design effort. After looking at all the Edcor power transformers, I could only find one that truly works for this amp design; and it will be run right at it's design limits. I've attached my PS design worksheet and final schematic. I settled on the Edcor XPRW002 which has a primary that will be run very close to it's design limit. However there is a low voltage secondary that's 48VA which we won't use so we should be able to draw the few extra mA off the main primary that will be required at full load. I played with using the XPWR132 which would have more margin but doesn't have the 6.3v current available for all three tubes so another filament transformer would be required. It's also a lot more expensive then the XPWR002.

The final design should have a ripple of about 0.014% at full load. This is right in the middle of the 0.005% to 0.05% range suggested by Herbert Reich in section 14-3 of "Theory and Application of Electron Tubes" for audio amplifiers. If greater ripple reduction is required, the final 10Ω resistor should be upped to 20Ω and the final capacitor increased to 200µf. The other two capacitors shouldn't be increased if possible. Increasing the 40µf cap would violate the max limit for the 5U4 and I'm afraid that increasing the first 100µf cap will cause in rush problems for the 5U4. There is no stand-by switch in this design. The 807 and 6SN7 both have unipotential cathodes so stripping won't be a problem. Just throw the main power switch and let every thing warm up together. This is especially important for the 5U4 to avoid hot switching transients.

As before, here is my first put at a power supply design. Take a look at the overall design, poke holes in it, recommend any changes you think would improve the design, etc. This is just the first cut at a workable design so comments, suggestions, changes, etc. are more then welcome.

Let me know what you think.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 20:16 
Project Author

Matt

I have taken copies of the PS and the amp schematic. Thanks a bunch. This will be a truely international amp. Designed in America and built in Australia. And original.

I am well into the current amp I am working on so should get a chance to start on the ATS25/807 soon. I will order the power tranny today. The rest I have. Ceramic sockets and anode caps are on their way.

I took a look at your site. Very good. We have similar tastes in amp layout. I like the wood look too.

Feel free to e-mail me and stay in touch. Did you see the 6AS7 amp I am building?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 05:06 

Hi.
I like this SE-807 (also testing these small modifications)
I have a pair of J-6123, project SE KT88, I only have a pair of Chinese KT88/98 of dubious matching

807s I have good quality, including Philips PE/06 40E and 40N. These James supported the current of this circuit,
with the primary connection 5 K and the secondary 8 Ohms boxes to 16 ohm tap of the OPT?

Thanks
Fernan

P.S. Ecuses by the translator Inglish.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 08:09 
Project Author

Fernan, do you have some images and a schematic of the 807 amp?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 09:50 

HI mwhouston
YES, it is the same SE AT25 / 807 two stage tube amp, posted by Suncalc
Thanks

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 17:59 
Project Author

From what I know this has not been built yet. Have I got this right?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 04:06 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Matt

I have taken copies of the PS and the amp schematic. Thanks a bunch. This will be a truely international amp. Designed in America and built in Australia. And original.

I am well into the current amp I am working on so should get a chance to start on the ATS25/807 soon. I will order the power tranny today. The rest I have. Ceramic sockets and anode caps are on their way.

I took a look at your site. Very good. We have similar tastes in amp layout. I like the wood look too.

Feel free to e-mail me and stay in touch. Did you see the 6AS7 amp I am building?

To quote myself. I have more of the parts now for the ATS-25 amp. Edcor is slow to get back to me about the power tranni etc. so still waiting a shipment notice from them. My 6AS7 is well finished and is off the planet for sound and bass extension. I'm wondering if the 6AS7 amp can be bested. The amp does more than rock, it rolls.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 05:07 

mwhouston wrote:

Mwhouston

It seems to me that I do not understand your question.
I want to say I need rights or permission to mount this nice design Matt?

Greetings
Fernan

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 06:00 
Project Author

Fernan wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

Mwhouston

It seems to me that I do not understand your question.
I want to say I need rights or permission to mount this nice design Matt?

I think I you have missed my question. Not as in legal rights but right as in correct.

So let me ask again: "From what I know this has not been built yet. Have I got this correct?"

As far as I know, Suncalc put the design out there for anyone to build. I'm sure there is no copyright on his design for personal use.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 06:26 

Hi
No, I have not made project.

Advised EDCOR 25W, EDCOR 10 and 15W are not sufficient.

I am James 6123, 20W 5K primary. My question is if these can be attached to the tap 16 ohm 8-ohm speakers, resulting in the 2K5 primary is suficient.

Thanks, all the best
Fernan

P.S. The reason is that, for SE-KT88 I have Chinas KT88/98 of dubious matched, 807s I have quality, including Philips PE/06 40E and 40N, I like this tubes and your project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next