DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:21 

Bill,

Doublecheck your C5 and C6, the values in the guide do not correspond with the diagram/outline printed on the board - I think. If you notice, mine is opposite yours.

I will also doublecheck the values when I get home...

Carl

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:05 

Should be fine either way really

My C5 is .68uf
My C6 is .33uf

C5 should be .33-4uf
C6 .1-1uf

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 13:47 

Here is my thinking of integrating the phono stage into the preamp all in one chassis. The phono stage will be point to point wiring. The separate heater xformer is 3A. The 5687's will draw .45A a piece and the 6CG7's will draw .6A a piece for a total of 2.1. The 6DJ8's will draw another .365 a piece for a grand total of 2.83A.

The PT at 125mA will have pleanty of power for all the tubes as well - Aikido = 42mA, phono = 44mA.

Anyone have any experience with the RJM phono stage? Pretty decent reviews from what I have seen.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 19:56 
Editor

I have not tried it, but like you, I have read good things. I like the 6DJ8 tube.

Have you got the Aikido Preamp going?

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 20:03 

Not yet...still waiting on the Edcor Iron...probably another couple weeks...plus I still need to decide on a chassis. Debating all metal enclosure VS wood frame and metal plate top/bottom OR metal plate front, back, top, and bottom with wood sides...

The last is the way I am leaning but most costly...I like the idea of keeping some wood in the design to keep the family look with the simple se...

I cant wait to at least get it fired up in a test rig. The wait is killing me!!!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 06:48 

OK,

Finally wrapped up the build!!! Actually got to listen to it for a little while last night. I ended up abandoning the idea of integrating the phono preamp - that will be a separate project.

I ended up with the Edcor XPWR106, a ratshack 12.6V filament xformer, and used Bas' PSU board that I found on that other DIY site.

I will post pics later today!!! The little I listened last night it sounded pretty good and very quiet.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 17:52 

Here are some pics...finally...

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 18:00 

Hey, that power board looks familiar ;)

Lookin' great! :up:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 18:10 
Project Author

oooooooooo, that look nice!!! 8-) wood chassis is the way to go!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 21:59 

The preamp runs to a Tubelab SimpleSE...The system is very quiet...Speakers are my old college Polk Audio M4.5's - pretty effecient little bookshelves...pleanty loud for the living room...

Once it is broken in I'll peel the plastic off the plate and stain/varnish the base to match the power amp...

Next up is the separate Phono stage...the board is stuffed and the aikido psu has another B+ to tap into...I also have a spare filament xformer so it will be a small little unit...probably 6x10...

Thanks for the comments!!
Carl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next