DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 11:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 02:08 
Project Author

The new 6SN7GT remote driver stage for the Be Bamp. No extra wire in the audio path. All component-2-component wiring better than point-2-point wiring. Images show side/rear and front of the compact stage and under the bonnet! Low ESR bi-pass caps, Russian, paper, oil and foill caps, silver solder and very very short signal path.

Not sure why but double one image.
Attachment:
BeBampDStage6SN7ss.jpg

Attachment:
BeBampDriver6SN7Frontss.jpg

Attachment:
BeBampDStage6SN7ss.jpg

Attachment:
BeBampDriver6SN7ss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 19:07 

Are those Green coupling caps the russian k42? If so, try the K40y-9.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 19:57 
Project Author

rock4016 wrote:
Are those Green coupling caps the russian k42? If so, try the K40y-9.

Yes they are the Russian caps. I have many signal caps, no more for a while. I am very pleased the Russian caps. I used 0.22uf in my first remote driver stage and this one 0.47uf. Very open sounding cap.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 18:17 
Project Author

Here is a working schematic with values for the KT120 Be Bamp. The cathode current can be increased more but currently more power tranni is running hot. With a bigger tranni (now in the post) further upgrades will come.

Previously I used a 6N1p in the driver stage. After a lot of listening I feel the 6SN7 is a better driver tube and produces an all-over better sound. But as I have stated else where it could really get down to personal taste. Both combinations are excellent. For me and my system, I currently favor the 6SN7 as the driver tube. Build both and decide yourself.
Attachment:
BeBampCCT.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 06:12 

I'm almost finished working up my schematic. One thing I don't have from your new schematic is the decoupling caps and extra resistor coming from the B+. I'll add those and try to post my schematic tonight (tonight where I'm at anyway). I couldn't get the 5u4gb to jive with the current I want/need for the KT120s, so I finally decided to just use two rectifiers and wire it essentially as monoblocks (planning on one chassis). Not sure if that means I'll need two separate PTs or if I can wire them up in parallel from one big PT... I don't see why I couldn't stick with one big PT as long as the voltage was under control and I had enough current for both sets of heaters.

For start-up and testing purposes I'll use the 300R cathode resistor, but is there any reason I can't use a ground referenced rheostat in its place and a ammeter down the road to play with the bias current?

I'll begin with the 6n1p for the driver stage, but if everything else pans out alright, I might experiment with the 6SN7, anything odd to look out for when setting them up?

Nigel

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 09:54 

Ok, I've been playing with LTSpice, and here's the plan. I'd appreciate hearing about any oversights. I'll post the power supply later, I'm planning on separate 5U4GBs. I'm not sure if I want to run two separate 6N1Ps or not.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 18:17 
Project Author

By pass cap on the KT120 should be 220uf not 22uf.

When testing with voltage control devices you need to the heaters running full. Other wise no real test. Haven't check your cct. but compare it to the original on the site.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 22:09 
Project Author

Also your inter-stage cap should be 0.22uf metal film not 22uf.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 23:45 

Geebus, I'm failing on my decimals with this one. Time to go back over it with one of those tiny combs.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 02:24 
Project Author

You probably would have realised the inter-stage cap was wrong but the cathode by-pass cap may not have been so obvious. Rest of the schematic looks OK.

I would also use a blocking Rs 200R -> 1k0 at the first tube.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next