DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 Oct 2020, 02:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sand or Glass
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 05:59 
Project Author

This thread picks-up where the 6V6 competition thread left off with relation to mixing sand devices or "SDS" with pure tube devices.

For me, apart from diode rectification, I will keep tube amps SS free. I'm not talking hybrid amps here where you may have a tube front-end or driver stage and an SS power stage but where SS devices are use to create constant current sources, buffers or signal boosters or whatever.

I'm not saying they are good or bad, sound right or sound wrong but for me, I just don't do them. I have built a number of descrete SS amps, chip amps and OPAMP based preamps so I am away what SS circuitry has to offer. I have also built a number of tube based amps and have been schooled in both camps.

But I'm sure you-all have some comment to make here. Go for it.

Post subject: Re: Sand or Glass
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 07:14 

I am in no way a vacuum-taliban. Tubes are nice to work with as there's no need for printed circuit boards and the passive components are big enough so the markings can be read w/o microscope.
However this doesn't stop me from getting dirty in the sand pit and I have several randy sandy projects on my list. I even find it amusing mixing various technologies and would very much liek to try out a PP-amp with either transistors or OPAMPS for input devices and EL34s as output devices. High-breeds are always fun! :up:

Else I am to finish a l'Audiophil Monstre-amp (8W classA, siliconed). I have a SymAsym, 50W transistor amp, in plastic bags and a T-amp, also "almost finished". Not to mention a nostalgic microcomputer based on RCA's CDP1802 from the 70's, two analog synthsizers, one 32-step sequiencer, some synthesizer modules and two VU-meters based on a IN13 tube.

Edit. Miss Spelling

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Last edited by Soundbrigade on 12 Jul 2010, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 07:42 
Project Author

I would like to think that this thread has brought out the "Sacramento" side of your duck family.

I have great respect for your comments and projects so far. Looking forward to you stirring this spicey pot.

Hybrids? I'm happy with mixing SS and tube front-end and back-end.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 07:48 

Somewhere, where you may confront the "unlucky" blend of sand and vacuum is when using CCS like in the OddWatts. How would an OddWatt look like with an KT88 or 6080 or 6S33S as current sink?! :shock:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 08:07 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
Somewhere, where you may confront the "unlucky" blend of sand and vacuum is when using CCS like in the OddWatts. How would an OddWatt look like with an KT88 or 6080 or 6S33S as current sink?! :shock:

You know I have thought of that. Why can't a tube be a current sink. Come on Sacramento sketch one. Two KT88s is totempole current (or voltage) sink topology?? I'd like to see that.

But is it required? What happened to good old resistive loading, transformer coupling. Is different better? Is simple simply better?? Or is there something to be had??

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 08:09 

I dunno, let's leave that to the other members to answer. :idea:

I've seen several schematics with pentodes as current sinks for preamps and iput/driver stages in power amps.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 10:43 

If you went out an bought a brand new car in the 1920's you would have an engine and some basic controls, you had to find the skill to control the thing, never mind in the snow or whatever. Now if you go out and buy a new car it comes fully loaded with an entertainment system and anti lock brakes etc. Purists will argue that it will be less fun to drive and not as good asif it was left without these aids, but looking at it from a wide angle point of view they have ultimately improved the car.

If you wish to go along the route of nothing must be contaminated by 'sand' then go for it, but if it means you can provide tube amp heaters with the cleanest power supply known to man then why not use a voltage regulator etc.

Personally I cant tell the difference between my granddads old tube amp with not a chip in sight and his newer one which uses a few voltage regulators and other niceties which make things better on a general point of view.

But then you are building the amp so each to their own! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 20:05 
Banned

kkkittehz wrote:
....but if it means you can provide tube amp heaters with the cleanest power supply known to man then why not use a voltage regulator etc.

Hi.

I think battery should be "the cleanest" answer to heating tubes as a home DIYer without touching sandy stuffs.

I am using 6V sealed lead acid (SLA) cell to heat the tubes of my phonostages, rechargeable by
an outboard SMPS which is switched off & electrically & physically isoated from the amp itseslf when not charging to eliminate RFI contamination.

c-J

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 20:41 
Project Author

cheap-jack a good way to go for a pure DC filament. In my tube pre and power amps I use center-tapped AC filaments and have no problem with hum. I'm not sure I would ever bother with DC filaments.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 08:45 

Pure DC is ususally a must when dealing with a high gain phono pre.

Amps and line stages have very little gain in comparison.