DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 07:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 19:00 

Has anyone who built the Elekit TU-879S also done a comparison with a 300B SET amp? I'm curious how the two compare sonically.

PostPosted: 29 May 2011, 20:25 
Editor

Quick update.

After I estimate some 1000+ hours one of the EH brand 6L6 tubes supplied with the kit failed during operation. The tube failure took out the HT fuse. While I had the amp open I took a good look at the insides and all was good. There were no signs of overheated parts or temperature damage on the pcb. Replaced the fuse and inserted 6550 tubes and the amp was back up and running. I estimate about 1500 hours on the amp now and it has been flawless. :up:

The Gold Aero 6550 might be the worst of the bunch. Also recently got some new tubes to try out with the amp. JJ 6L6GC, JJ KT77 and Tung-Sol ECC803s 12AX7 Gold Pin. Tube listening reports to follow soon.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2011, 11:30 

FORUM ALERT!!

The original R-core of TU-879S does not have the coloured tabs for multi voltages; they have either 100V , 120V, or 230V custom made for the specific area by Phenix, Japanese R-core transformer maker. http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/index1.htm

When purchasing your TU-879S kit, please ensure that you are getting the original R-Core transformer made by Phenix, Japan to maintain optimum quality output (see pic without coloured tabs for voltage). A lot of clone R-core transformers use inferior (poor quality) iron and of course the sound quality will be downgraded. The clones are not up to the standard of quality of the original R-Core invented and licensed by Kitamura Kiden Japan. Be wise and go with the original R-Core and not the reproduction.
Quote:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/elekit/messages/218.html

Attachment:
Elekit TU-879S original R-Core transformers made by Phenix Corp in Japan.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 21:21 
Editor

Thanks for the notice Victor!

My TU-879S kit came from TubeDepot and it came with the R-Core 120V transformer as shown in your photo above.

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 21:53 

Gio wrote:
My TU-879S kit came from TubeDepot and it came with the R-Core 120V transformer as shown in your photo above.

This transformer has coloured tabs for multi voltages...
http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/879_transformer.pdf

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 12:26 
Editor

It looks like something may have changed since I ordered from them over a year ago. As you can see in the very first post in this thread (Elekit TU-879S (SE 6L6GC) Tube Amplifier Kit Build Notes) that my TU-879S tube amp kit from TubeDepot came with the same Japanese made 120V R-core transformer from Phoenix Corp.

I'll look into this some more and when it is figured out I'll post an update here.

UPDATE - the TU-879S kits are shipping with the Japanese R-core transformers: viewtopic.php?p=34586#p34586

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 09:09 

Here is the spec of R80 (TU-879S's R-core)

http://www.kitamura-kiden.co.jp/english/index.html

Are they different? A big YES

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 12:31 
Editor

I got a chance to speak with Victor last night - very nice fellow in BC who is sending me some Vitamin Q coupling caps to try out with the amp. :mrgreen: Thanks Victor.

It seems last year the kits were shipping from TubeDepot with the 120V Japanese made transformers which is what came with the kit I purchased (see photos at start of thread). Victor indicated that some time this year the TubeDepot kits started shipping with a 120V/230V center tapped primary R-core transformer.

For those looking for this kit with the original Japanese made R-core transformers, they can be purchased from Victor at http://www.vkmusic.ca/TU-879S.htm who is located BC, Canada.

Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 22:34 

Interesting.... So, are the TU-879 kits from TubeDepot Elekit or counterfeit? Shouldn't the kits come with the correct transformer from the manufacturer? :confused:

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 23:59 

Les wrote:
Interesting.... So, are the TU-879 kits from TubeDepot Elekit or counterfeit? Shouldn't the kits come with the correct transformer from the manufacturer?

The kits are from Elekit except that the R-core is an aftermarket R-core. Why? The Kitamura Kiden licensed R-core is quite pricy. For example, I need to pay more than US$100 to order the 230V R-core from Elekit. The aftermarket R-core is far cheaper than the Kitamura Kiden licensed R-core . Elekit told me they did not test this R-core's spec. They won't take any responsibility caused by this aftermarket R-core. (customer need to know this )

I imported Elekit to North America since 2007. I think my customers need to know whether they bought the original TU-879S with the KK licensed R-core as mentioned in the Six Moons Review.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next