DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 02:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 00:04 

The bigger the iron, the lower the core saturation and the better the bass response and the lower the THD added by the iron.

The Hammond vs. Edcor shootout is one that will be going for a long time and results are Googleable on a variety of experimenter's pages. Hammonds are less efficient and add more THD than Edcor, but have a broader upper-end frequency response for the same size/weight as an Edcor.

IMO, it comes down to your wallet on a 300B OPT ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 00:35 
Project Author

I probably favour Hammonds over Edcors but you will pay the price. It's probably not hard to calculate the wattage required for the OPT but from personal experience I have found bigger is better. As an electronics engineer friend told my you can't beat a ton of wire. Big trannis have a ton of wire. He also said more wire more bass.

My 300B draws 90mA per tube at 435V. For sure a smaller OPT would have done the job but probably not as well. On the CRO 3db points are 10hz to 52khz. A small cheap OPT would not test or sound as well. I only wish Edcor would publish current ratings of the OPTs was well as other values.

After all I have said above I have used 10W Edcor OPTs on 5W EL34 amps which had more bass than they should and sounded excellent. Go figure?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 10:46 

I made this amplifier based on the circuit at first page.

I am using metal oxide resistors (blue color). Phillips capacitor for DC filter, RIFA for cathode bypass for 6SN7 and 300B.

Coupling capacitor is CDE Orange Drop (waiting for my K-42Y to come).

Output transformer is local custom made as well as the power transformer. Need to save for better transformers.

The power transformer has 880Vct (higher than the original design).

Not really clean inside the box.

Final photos is like shown below.

To my surprise, the sound produced by this amplifier is so good despite a not so good transformer.

I really enjoy this amplifier.

Thank you very much for the designer.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 18:00 
Project Author

Nothing wrong with those trannies. Amp looked good. Personal I found the 300B just a little characterless but most would probably like that. If you can try an SE amp with 6L6s. It will surprise.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 22:10 

aatjitra wrote:
I made this amplifier based on the circuit at first page.

I am using metal oxide resistors (blue color). Phillips capacitor for DC filter, RIFA for cathode bypass for 6SN7 and 300B.

Coupling capacitor is CDE Orange Drop (waiting for my K-42Y to come).

Output transformer is local custom made as well as the power transformer. Need to save for better transformers.

The power transformer has 880Vct (higher than the original design).

Not really clean inside the box.

Final photos is like shown below.

To my surprise, the sound produced by this amplifier is so good despite a not so good transformer.

I really enjoy this amplifier.

Thank you very much for the designer.

Hi, i would like to use similar ventilation inserts you have used around the valves bases for my build of a similar but pcb based design. if you don’t mind, where might I look for a seller of these. Do they provide sufficient ventilation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9