DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 12:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 15:58 

Hi everybody,

a few words on heating. I tend to use AC heating now, too. My OddBlock has now AC on the KT88 and rectified and regulated dc on the pre tubes. The 25 ampere bridge rectifier I used to rectify the 6,3 volts for the KT88 is so slow, the it's reverse ripple voltage poisoned my whole system with some background noise ( hum). Now, that I got rid of the bridge, my amp is hum free. As for polarization, I don't know about that. I definitely need DC heating of highest quality to construct a noise free RIAA pre amp. But for power amps, AC heating is alright, if you twist the wires good and make sure they don't run parallel to any signal wires to avoid inductive and capacitive coupling (ghost capacitors, oh yes they do exist).If you decide for DC heating, do it right and use also high quality diodes for the rectifier and a voltage regulator. The regulator really does the trick, it improves the quality of the DC signal so much, it is a must in all my amps, especially, because it removes high frequency noise, the kind of that is otherwise so hard to get rid of. Success.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 17:30 

rparsh wrote:
Well, the idea of a pair of 300B monobloc amps is just too hard to resist so today May 20 I got online and ordered the Edcor iron (8 weeks to wait and drink beer not wine) also all the caps and a pair of JJ 300B for $110 a tube. Had to order the choke from AES as I will use two of my many spare 5U4 tubes. Where do you get 3 watt and 20 watt resistors? I think I will use some of the Odd Watt floating power and signal ground technology in this build just like in my built from scratch Odd Block KT88 amps. I will surely use SMPS filtered and regulated 5 volt DC to run my 300B heaters again floating and not grounded at all. 8 weeks. That will take a good bit of beer!

You won't regret it. This amp is about as far from a SS amp as you can get. I can now understand why the 300B SET is a popular amp. Don't expect thunderous volume levels, but expect a very "open, airy, detailed, silky" sound that brings out the detail in recordings.

Funny thing, some recordings sound distorted through this amp, but it's not the amp distorting. The amp just brings out the detail in the music including distortion that's on the sound source. If the source is distortion free, so is the amp. But if there's a little bit of distortion present on a recording, the amp will faithfully reproduce it instead of smearing it or smoothing it over.

Vocals, strings, guitars, and percussion "jump out of the speakers". I would add the word "lively" to describe the sound.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 18:22 
Project Author

Interesting what Benny said about the rectifier puting noise into the ccts. Just another reason to stay with AC on the heaters. Bloody SS stuf!!! With a lot of wire twisting, earthing the heater's center tap and careful wiring most of the time AC induction can be controlled. My latest KT88 SE UL has AC heaters only in both stages and it is dead quiet.

Just supporting the comments made about the sound of the 300B SET. I think you can almost make the same comments about any tube SE. OK the 300B may just do it a bit better. Even when I built my first 6T9 SE I new from the first minutes of play that there is a transparency and quality that few other configurations can match. But you do take a power hit.

And now with my latest JJ Blue Glass KT88 SE UL, with remote driver stage and Russian paper and foil caps, all those initial qualities I heard in my first 6T9 and other KT88 SE's I have built recently have been amplified (excuse the pun) to produce a truly spectacular sound amp.

Long live the SE!!

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 01:14 

I just raised B+ to 380 volts and this amp is singing!!! It's noticably louder before distortion. It was designed to properly self bias at 380 but I needed the right voltage tranny to boost the voltage.

I'm amazed, I really am. Thinking of how complicated my SS amps are, and then thinking about the fact there are only two active devices in the signal path to amplify in this 300B amp, and no negative feedback, yet it sounds so damn good. I guess the simplicity is exactly why it sounds so good, that and the class A bias with no crossover distortion and the preponderance of lower even harmonic distortion when it does distort (very gracefully) at higher power levels.

I also put sine waves through it at full power and checked the traces. Above 30 Hz the waveforms look perfect. At 20 Hz there is a slight tilting of the waveform, but when the power is reduced slightly the waveform returns to its normal shape.

I'll use a function generator to try some square waves through the amp as soon as it arrives. My old one died.

:headphones:

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 07:47 
Project Author

Slight tilt at 20Hz????? You don't need no other test'n honey!!

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 23:05 

mwhouston wrote:
My latest KT88 SE UL has AC heaters only in both stages and it is dead quiet.

And now with my latest JJ Blue Glass KT88 SE UL, with remote driver stage and Russian paper and foil caps, all those initial qualities I heard in my first 6T9 and other KT88 SE's I have built recently have been amplified (excuse the pun) to produce a truly spectacular sound amp.

May I ask how many output watts (clean) you get from a KT88 in SE ultra linear?

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 03:49 
Project Author

sampleaccurate wrote:
May I ask how many output watts (clean) you get from a KT88 in SE ultra linear?

About 7.5W into 8ohm resistive load. I'm running 9mA into each tube at 365V Plate to cathode.

PostPosted: 25 May 2010, 09:27 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
[You won't regret it.
This amp is about as far from a SS amp as you can get. I can now understand why the 300B SET is a popular amp. .

Hi.

Yes, no amp can sound as musical as 300BSE, IME. But if you want more power & more dynamic, go 300B PP.

When you settle down with yr new amp. Replace yr 300Bs with Western Electric. You will be amazed !! I bet.

"Just like an old bag dragging her feet magically transformed to a Cinderella spinning ballets in her dancing shoes" So much more elegant, silky & effortless. WE 300B worths every buck spent on it.

c-J

PostPosted: 25 May 2010, 15:09 

cheap-Jack wrote:
Yes, no amp can sound as musical as 300BSE, IME. But if you want more power & more dynamic, go 300B PP.

That's a point of dissension on which I have no opinion (yet) for lack of experience. Some say the PP won't sound as good, just more power at the expense of sound, others say the 300B shines in a single ended class A amp and that PP is inferior. I simply don't know.

Once my KT88 oddwatt is complete I'll have something to compare my SET with.

PostPosted: 25 May 2010, 19:29 
Project Author

sampleaccurate wrote:
cheap-Jack wrote:

That's a point of dissension on which I have no opinion (yet) for lack of experience. Some say the PP won't sound as good, just more power at the expense of sound, others say the 300B shines in a single ended class A amp and that PP is inferior. I simply don't know.

Once my KT88 oddwatt is complete I'll have something to compare my SET with.

You should have a good example of what a well designed PP valve amp can do in the oddwatts. I know Bruce has put a ton of effort into their design to get the best out of them in all ways possible. He helped my tweak-up my latest KT88 SE UL. And with his guidance l increased the amps performance ten fold. Only one draw back: I cannot plug and play tubes as I did before we tweaked the amp. But I'm extremely happy with JJ Blue Glass matched KT88s.

Bruce will probably disagree but my (big) GUT still tells me the SE is the way to go. If you wnat more power from an SE amp use bloody big tubes like 211s. A friend has a single tube SE guitar amp which delivers 60W!!. But the tubes are a grand each.

There are many ways to skin the audio cat. At this point my pussy is SE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next