DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 08:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 17:27 

Last night I finally finished my first DIY amp, a single ended triode 300B stereo amp.

I used SMPSs for the heaters, and a direct coupled 6SN7 driver for the 300B tubes with Hammond audio output transformers..

Brought it up slowly this morning on a variac, no smoke, voltages looked about right. Finally plugged in some speakers and a CD player and it worked - first time!

I was missing some resistors and had to make a modification that is limiting the power right now, but at low volume it sounds sweet. Very clear, nice highs. I LIKE!!! Next up is a KT88 stereo oddwatt. And today from Ukraine my GM70s arrived in the mail for a future high power SET amp.

No pictures of the inside yet. I confess - it's messy. I need to clean it up.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 22:03 

The inside. It sounds better than it looks. I know it's not very neat. It had some hum at first, but shielding the cable from the input to the first stage of the 6SN7 eliminated all hum and buzz. It's now dead quiet, despite not rotating the output transformers with respect to the two power transformers. The OTs stay completely cool after several hours. The power trannys get slightly warm.

The 300B tubes have a cool blue glow that pulsates with the music. I now can't wait to finish my oddwatt.

I'm sold on tubes. I wasn't sure what to expect when I built this thing. Now I'm really glad I did, and I'd like to thank everyone who answered my questions when I was (and still am) learning how to do this.

It's star grounded which is one reason it has so many wires for such a simple circuit.

The two empty 9 pin sockets are for an input preamp to increase the sensitivity if I need to.

The power trannys are 120 volt isolation transformers rated at 300 watts each, the two in series being rated for 600 watts. It's insanely oversized as are the OTs at 30 watts, but the power transformers were very inexpensive compared to ordering a much smaller specialty transformer.

I don't normally plug products, but I really like the paint I used. Rustoleum Hammered Finish spray paint. It has a glossy texture that hides fingerprints very well. It looks much better than straight gloss IMHO and the pictures don't do it justice.

There are two very sloppy but effective "turret boards" made out of strips etched on PCB for the ground bus and the power supply connections.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 03:23 

Congratulations!
I don't doubt that it sound is amazing!
I like this 3D wiring ! /what kind of output trany Hammond You use?/.
Later You can compare SE 300B and PP KT88 and SE GM70!

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 09:10 

Congrats on the build!

As for the wiring, trust me, it could be much worse. If your soldering is sound and you have no hum and nothing dangerous going on, it's all good.

I have some factory point to point wired vintage amps that are not nearly as neat as yours.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 11:45 

azazello wrote:
Congratulations!
I don't doubt that it sound is amazing!
I like this 3D wiring ! /what kind of output trany Hammond You use?/.
Later You can compare SE 300B and PP KT88 and SE GM70!

Thanks.

The optimal position for every wire was carefully calculated to minimize noise and induced interference and each was cut to precision within 1 mm before being carefully placed in their 3D configurations as shown above!

:wizard:

I wish. Actually this wire I bought is finely stranded and won't hold a bend, I need something with fewer strands or even solid that holds it's shape - lesson learned for my KT88.

The trannys are Hammond 1627SEA, 30 watt, 2500 ohms - 4/8/16 ohms. I would recommend a slightly higher primary impedance for a single 300B tube, although with the secondary taps on this one there is some flexibility in changing the reflected impedance of the secondary as seen by the primary. I was contemplating making or later modding this into a parallel dual tube SET which is the reason for the lower impedance and high wattage. It can handle the bias current for two 300Bs in parallel if I ever decide to go there.

The only thing I wish it had was more power. My speakers are not very efficient (91dB/1 meter), and I didn't expect it to be very loud, but it's about 4 to 6 dB lower in volume than I expected before it noticeably distorts. I need to put my scope on it and see what's going on to make sure it's properly biased. However, at low volume it really sounds good. I think this might be the first amp I've ever even listened to in my entire life with no global feedback. I can't put the sound into words. It's different, but definitely in a good way. I need to get a pair of efficient speakers and listen a lot more.

I can say with confidence that the solder joints are all solid and it's "safe" in terms of solid chassis grounding, fusing, and insulation.

BTW, I plugged a guitar cabinet into it and tried it as a guitar amp. It distorts VERY NICELY on electric guitar. I don't know how good that is for my 300B tubes, but it really sounds nice. It very gently "breaks up" with a bluesy sound at first, and when you really drive it hard you get full blown sustaining distortion that sounds like a quality guitar amp.

Also, the blue glow is completely gone. I'm guessing the getter absorbed some gas that was in the tubes that was ionizing. I miss my blue glow.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 12:58 

Geez guys....I had to almost go to the hospital from choking on my lunch after reading about the 3-D wiring....Too Funny.

I'm glad it sounds great. That is all that matters. :thumbsup:

Brian

p.s. It could always be worse. :firefighter:
Attachment:
wiring.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 13:19 
Project Author

Brian,

this air wiring (on your posted pic) is some kind of real sonical improvement Image.

I love it!

Have fun!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 16:28 

In India, maybe....?
/Why main transformers in USA are on the top of wood pillars?? :shock:.

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 18:24 

Azazello - India is correct. you win the prize!!! Oops there is no prize. ;)

As far as the mains transformers, the poles that are commonly used were treated with creosote which is a very effective wood preservative.

The prevailing use of creosote to preserve wooden utilities/telephone poles, railroad cross ties, switch ties and bridge timbers from decay. Due to its carcinogenic character, the European Union has regulated the quality of creosote for the EU market and requires that the sale of creosote be limited to professional users.

I guess the USA is primative in certian aspects. At least the poles last for many years.

Bottom line, I guess they are cheaper :$: :$:

Take care
Brian

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 03:07 

I mean in Europe /in Bulgaria/ 1 big transformer /in building/ between some avenue and all cables are closed under ground never mind in towns or villages /sorry for off!/.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next