DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 01:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6V6 PP amp
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 16:26 

I've got the itch to build another amp. I was wondering what people's experiences were with this one:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/ ... Amplifier/
if anyone has done it.

Post subject: Re: 6V6 PP amp
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 17:59 

I built an amplifier like this (stereo). I used solid-state rectification, and have about 300 volts B+ to the output tubes. I used Edcor GXPP15-8K output transformers. I made a couple of changes that Bruce recommended. I upsized the coupling capacitors, from .1 uf to .22 uf. I increased the value of the electrolytic bypass capacitors, on the cathodes of the output tubes, from 47 uf to 470uf. There changes gave the amplifier much better bass response.

Since I had 12 volt heater voltage available on the power transformer, I used 12SL7 and 12V6 tubes. I kinda wanted to use NOS tubes (nostalgia), and the 12 volt heater versions are in much less demand that their 6-volt cousins, so they are very inexpensive about $6 each at AES. The amp wont exactly shake the walls, but it does sound really nice.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 19:36 

thank you! Those are just the tips I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of using edcor transformers
CXPP10-8K

and for power:
XPWR008
600V (300-0-300) at 200mA center tapped, 6.3V at 4A and 5V at 3A.
or
XPWR081
70V (285-0-285) at 200mA center tapped, 6.3V at 6A and 5V at 5A.
for a lower voltage since the write-up mentioned the voltage being a bit high. I'll have to run some sims.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 20:31 
Project Author

Hi, The CXPP transformers should be fine. They are only rated for 10 watts, but really are over designed and are much better performers than the GXPP ones. Especially in th elow bass and top treble. You might also consider the CXPP25 size as they are really nice to and a bit more robust. I use them all the time. It would allow you to grow the amp if desired to use 6L6GC, KT77 and EL34s. Either of the power trannies will be fine with tube rectifiers. If you went to SS ones they would likely develop too much B+ for 6V6s and they would fry. The other tubes could handle it though.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 21:52 

great points. More to ponder as I do have a lot of 6L6GC tubes

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 10:04 

And of course after being happy that the transformers are pretty affordable for this design I find some Hashimoto HWC-30-8 ones that are awfully tempting.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 14:37 

Looking at possibly going with Hammond because the 8 weeks production time for Edcor is getting close to bumping up against their holiday shutdown,which happened to me before.

Would 7.6K mess up much in place of 8K?
1650FA 25 7,600 ct 128 ma.

thanks,

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, The CXPP transformers should be fine. They are only rated for 10 watts, but really are over designed and are much better performers than the GXPP ones. Especially in th elow bass and top treble. You might also consider the CXPP25 size as they are really nice to and a bit more robust. I use them all the time. It would allow you to grow the amp if desired to use 6L6GC, KT77 and EL34s. Either of the power trannies will be fine with tube rectifiers. If you went to SS ones they would likely develop too much B+ for 6V6s and they would fry. The other tubes could handle it though.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 10:20 

Ordered output transformers from Electraprint so the project is a go.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 11:06 

I'm fairly new to PSUDII, am I doing this correctly?

As designed:
Attachment:
psud.jpg

With a choke instead:
Attachment:
psudchoke.jpg

I've read that chokes aren't really needed in push pull setups. Is it overkill?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 17:16 

or I could add a soft start circuit and go SS (if my #s are correct) and get some really smooth DC

Attachment:
psud-ss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.