DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 05:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 06:24 

Hi everybody,

I love small amps, that is the reason why my KT88 amp ended up in a too small enclosure with all the problems that come along with that like heat and noise. Now my amp has a new big home and is thankful with no hum and little heat. But did I learn my lesson? I suppose not, because that is what I came up with so far.

I don't expect this amp to be entirely noise free, but it sure is cute as a button I will use the Russian 6F5P (similar to ECL85/6GV8), triode and pentode in one envelope. Will post more pics later
Attachment:
new approach front.JPG
Attachment:
new approach top.JPG
Attachment:
new case inside.JPG
Attachment:
new case side.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 08:24 
Editor

Hi Ben, this looks like a good build to follow: http://www.dmitrynizh.com/6f5p-set-impl.htm

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 16:04 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
Hi Ben, this looks like a good build to follow: http://www.dmitrynizh.com/6f5p-set-impl.htm

As Spare Time Gizmo has found out making amps from strange and hard to get tubes leads you down a dead end lane with no way out. 6T9 tubes are hard to get. If not impossible. I happen to a spare six to keep two amps going.

There are lots of excellent and exciting tubes out there that are either back in production or there are millions of. Thanks for the link but no thanks not for me (speaking for myself here).

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 16:58 

Hi guys,

my tiny amplifier is finished and sounds good, almost, because one of my tubes is bad and hums real bad, but moving the tube from right to left does move the hum from right to left, so for sure a bad tube, shit. Well, thanks to Nikola, I got a couple coming in the mail and that will make this little thing very useful. The Russian ECL85 I am using are not pin compatible with my ECL86, so no tube rolling for testing and I am too lazy to change everything around, I just wait for Nikolas tubes. Over all, I am very happy with the outcome, the working side is very quiet, it sounds warm and sweet, lots of bass (unbelievable, considering the size of the opts) I am loving it already, over some days it will find it's place in my living room to power the vintage speakers with my TV.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 17:01 

The schematic is almost the same as for my ECL86 amp, the changes I will post tomorrow, only 3 stage filtering in the PSU, for example.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 17:31 

Ben, After few days You'll have 4 6Ф5П tubes, don't worry.....
Nice "Tobacco" amplifier!!

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 18:24 

Thanks Nikola,

yes I am tempted to change around just to listen to it, but it is so small and difficult to solder, so I wanna wait.

Nikola, I am using the same opts you got, they sound good with the yellow and black tap in triode mode, enough power. Haven't really tried pentode mode, but sound is nice. Will do all the testing and tweaking in a few days. The PSU schematic I will post tomorrow. After all a nice little amp, I am happy with the outcome, very cute. I kind of hope nobody wants to buy it.....

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 10:38 

Hallo everybody,

well, the little amplifier is sold, together with my RIAA pre amp. I really hate not having a RIAA pre amp and not being able to use my record player with brand new needle, oh it sounds sooo good. Well I will build another one, I am kind of good at that by now. I already got the PSU build for my ECL86 amplifier. I got one pair of real ECL86, those are real audio tubes and sound great in combination with my vintage opts wired UL. I am using two 12 volt transformers back to back, both rated 4 ampere, really overkill, I got 320 volts on the first filter cap. But that is good, I want to loose somewhat 30 volts minimum over my filter chain, I use 4 stage filtering with bypass caps standard. I will juggle the resistors to archive something like 275 volts B+ under load on the opts. Too bad I cannot take pictures this moment, but believe me, it is beautiful, wooden enclosure, finished super shiny, the psu is perfect and with aluminum angle separated from the rest, only bad thing is I use a standard bridge rectifier, but it is snubbered good, and maybe subject for exchange later. I don't have ultra fast diodes right now. But now time to continue, schematic and pics from the build will follow shortly. Thanks to all of my friends.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 12:20 

Hi guys,

here is the better version of the amplifier, it has a much better psu, it has UL trannies and real audio tubes ECL86. Not too much power, but it does sound wonderful. B+ is exactly 249 volt, the filament voltage is rectified and controlled, the huge cooler is only for the 6 volt controller, it really needs this, but I don't mind. Maybe I will add a poti tonight, than I will take pics from under the hood. Those are great tubes, I love them.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 12:33 

Ben,

I would be very interested to know how the sound of the ECL86 compares with the 6F5P. Not having the same pinout makes comparing them difficult but the 6F5P is cheap and, although you lose some gain, the curves look just as good or better.