DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 06:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 21:16 

I've decided to take on Brad's 6v6 push pull tube amp for a project. One question, does it hurt to use 1/2 watt resistors or are the 1/4 watt resistors necessary per the schematic?

Thanks, Brian

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 05:55 

Hi Brian,

no it won't hurt. I use 2 watt resistors standard, just because they are bigger and easier to work with. Go ahead and have fun.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 17:31 

Basically you can always use resistors classed for a higher wattage (If they fit, as they will likely be bigger.) without a problem but be very careful if you for some reason use a lower wattage as this could in a worst case scenario cause fires (Otherwise you just end up looking stupid with a house full of a horrible stench of torched electronics.) I've tried this by accident in school at some point. My suggestion is follow the schematic or if you drew it make sure you do the math (and then exaggerate) before you begin wiring.

/Ebbe

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 21:06 

Bennybuis wrote:
I use 2 watt resistors standard, just because they are bigger and easier to work with.

My middle aged eyes appreciate this logic :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 00:21 

Ace - nice to see someone else doing this project.

I have all the parts and am about to drill the chassis on the weekend.
I’ve added a feedback selector switch, volume pot and another set of inputs.

Will post further as it develops!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 07:28 

Thanks for the clarification on the resistors. I figured that was the case, I plan on keeping the values the same for the resistors and capacitors just using a higher wattage and voltage. I never plan to use a smaller rating unless I want my own minature bonfire. :hot:

I am glad to see someone is doing this project as well. I been thinking about building a tube amp for a while but I am limited on design capibilities. I am more a read the schematic and build it, part for part kinda guy. I do have experience in working in some repair and building of electronic equipment, just not the design stage.

I am building this amp with Hammond Transformers, ERSE caps, JJ and Tung-Sol tubes and Takman resistors. :D I hope that isn't too over the top.

Take care everyone and thanks again...