DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 17:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 07:19 

Hi guys,

I wanna try this amplifier with different tubes, maybe GU50, and see what happens. I have a 2 channel HP scope, no signal generator, but my software scope has a very good signal generator, so that will do for now. If you need that piece of software, please drop me a line and I will get some sort of FTP server going and you can download ii directly from me.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 21:02 

I got a dumb question

what dose NFB mean

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 04:57 
Project Author

bsgd: Nice simple build of a nice and simple cct. This is the same cct. I used on my very first SE amp. I have built about amps using this and a slightly tweaked version of this schematic. It is just so simple and works so well. A good PS is critical for a class A SE UL amp.

Try removing the bi-pass cap on the 6N1P for a different sound (and bigger sound stage) or switch from pentode to triode mode on the power tube. Also you can plug in a few other power tubes. Try: 6V6, 6L6, EL34 (my new favorite) and 5881.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 20:03 
Editor

kitchi wrote:
what dose NFB mean

Negative FeedBack

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 00:42 

If you need a quick signal generator, you can use a NE555 to generate a square wave. If you need more than that, look around for the XR signal generator chip. They are very versatile and cheap as well. You can build a generator with one of those for less than 20 bucks with what you have in your junk box.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 20:42 

Any update on this solving the high frequency issue.
Im thinking of building this amp as it seems quite simple.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 06:22 

mwhouston wrote:
This is the same cct. I used on my very first SE amp. I have built about amps using this and a slightly tweaked version of this schematic. It is just so simple and works so well. A good PS is critical for a class A SE UL amp.

Mark, any links to your cct or threads in the discussion forum? I would like to be able to compare them.

mwhouston wrote:
Try removing the bi-pass cap on the 6N1P for a different sound (and bigger sound stage) or switch from pentode to triode mode on the power tube. Also you can plug in a few other power tubes. Try: 6V6, 6L6, EL34 (my new favorite) and 5881.
Swapping tubes is fun!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 07:40 
Project Author

Just do a search on this forum for "pimp my amp". You will see the suggestions made to the basic KT88 amp to improve it. I did build two EL34 amps based on these suggestions. Both sold in a week. The owners love them.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 13:59 

Thanks Mark. I'll get reading later today or tonight.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 19:47 

Hi all.

I have had a shopping list of parts to build this amp for way over a year now. The total is £375.72 and this is just the 4 transformers and a chassis, nothing else.
The only thing stopping me has been the price. The output transformers I am looking at are Hammond 1628SEA. A pair will cost £236 which makes up the bulk of the cost.

Does anyone have a better price for the output transformers or an alternative?

Cheers, John.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next