DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 23:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 09:15 

This Spud amp sounds very good and is priced very good.
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/catalogs/ ... ucts_id=26

I've built 3 of them, and use one as a backup amp now, but after several years of amp building and tweaking I'm still impressed at how this little amp sounds.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 20:41 
Editor

Cool, I'm not the only one who has backup amps! ;)

Any chance you could show some photos and share your experience with these spud kits. I'm sure the price and simplicity if the kit will interest a few.
Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 09:24 

The pictures I have are from the older kit, the newer one is slightly larger and has 2 bends in the chassis. (Front and back) You can see a picture of a new finished one here.
http://jerrycurtis.com/?page_id=8

The instructions come with over 100 high res photos, on a CD. They use a web interface with a menu system that's easy to navigate. Also the hawthorneaudio forums have lots of friendly folks that can help out, and Jerry is very responsive as well.

Here's a pic of my first Spud.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 09:28 

Here's a pic of the old kit.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 09:30 

As a first time build, I enjoyed the simplicity of the amp, it's only 2 tubes and one gain stage, it doesn't get any easier unless you build a 1 tube preamp.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 15:58 

That looks like a very decent kit. I didn't read the description carefully, and am wondering if you provide the wood bits or do they come with the kit? Also, the one-piece metal top and back is a great idea-chassis are the most expensive part of these low-volume kits (I think) and the company is optimizing build quality with a cost efficient "platform" for the components. Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell us what the transformer model numbers are? I'm curious. It appears that there is one output trannie for both channels, or am I missing something?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 10:55 
Editor

The amp kit description indicates that the wooden sides are NOT included.
connemaraguitars wrote:
Also, the one-piece metal top and back is a great idea-chassis are the most expensive part of these low-volume kits (I think) and the company is optimizing build quality with a cost efficient "platform" for the components.

The Bottlehead Quickie preamp kit is like this too. I hate it when the chassis cost more that the rest of the amp.
Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 22:00 

The output transformers are open frame Edcor 8K to 8ohm units under the chassis, and there are 2 of them.
The PS transformer is a hammond 369AX.

connemaraguitars wrote:
That looks like a very decent kit. I didn't read the description carefully, and am wondering if you provide the wood bits or do they come with the kit? Also, the one-piece metal top and back is a great idea-chassis are the most expensive part of these low-volume kits (I think) and the company is optimizing build quality with a cost efficient "platform" for the components. Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell us what the transformer model numbers are? I'm curious. It appears that there is one output trannie for both channels, or am I missing something?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 12:18 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, Good starter project. Another entry to this field .... keep an eye out for the Oddwatt Audio Alpha. I'll say no more. I agree with the philosophy of good components and simplicity of design. My hat's off the the designer of the kit. There is a real need for entry level amps that can lure folks into tube audio. The amps IMHO need to be complete packages and have great (if not in huge quantities) sound.

I too have back up amps. I have the luxury of having several OddBlocks and Poddwatts around at any time. I also have several SS amps around gathering dust. IMHO real amps glow in the dark....if your SS amp glows in the dark... call the fire department. :lildevil:

Good listening
Bruce