DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 08:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 19:41 
Editor

UPDATE: See my OddWatt Audio 5751 SRPP / KT88 Monoblock Tube Amp Kits review.

Hi guys, I got a pair of Odd Block KT88 Series 1 monoblock amplifier kits from OddWattAudio.com and this will be my build log. For those interested in the DIY version of this amplifier, see the Odd Blocks - KT88 Push-Pull Class-A DIY Tube Amp project page.

I have already built one of the monoblocks and finished photos have been posted in the Oddwatt Push Pull Tube Amplifier Projects thread.

Stock photo of the tube amplifier kit parts for one monoblock.
Attachment:
OddBlocks-KT88-Tube-Amplifier-Kit.jpg

Before you start to mount the hardware, you need to scrape away some of the paint at the IEC socket and at the power ground. I started of with sandpaper, but the chassis is finished with thick powder coat so I quickly gave up and grabbed a Dremmel to scrape away some paint. A sharp knife works well at the IEC socket.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-Tube-Amp-Kit-Chassis.jpg

The instructions that come with the kit are very detailed. Before you start mounting the hardware, sort all the nuts and bolts - this makes it easy to identify as they are referenced in the instructions.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-Tube-Amp-Kit-Hardware.jpg

I made a slight deviation from the instructions. The 25-ohm pot was rotated 180 degrees - this way you can solder directly to the test points using the resistor leads so you don't have to use hook up wire. No big deal, but it is neater this way.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 22:04 
Project Author

Boy, oh boy Gio! I want to get a pair of those kits so bad, If only I had the money and time to spend, summer being more than half over, I'm afraid I won't even get to the point of testing my Williamson amp before school goes back in. :(

But I will be watching your progress, and that is enjoyable enough for me, well.... that is if there are lots of pictures. :)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 12:23 
Editor

Hi Alan, I will take a lot of photos. Sadly, finding time to work on the kit is the biggest problem.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 19:48 

"If I could save time in a bottle......."

Looks great Gio! I'll be following with much interest.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 22:36 

The problem is I got the time but not the money. :bawling:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 10:19 
Project Author

Hi All, A sad but true thing. The kits (BTW) are not money makers. It is a good thing that I don't need the $$ to survive or I would starve. Now if I had the $$ a set of Martin Logans would be in my listening room. I have been informed that the combination of Odd Blocks and MLs is enough to bring tears to listeners.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 17:04 

Looks like a fairly complete kit they give you.

I look forward toyour results and reviw :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 20:33 
Editor

Next I deviate from the build order in the supplied instructions a little bit. I stuff the PCB mainly to get rid of all the loose parts so I don't loose any. Here are a couple photos of the PCB. Sorry about the fuzzy photos - it is a new camera and I guess I should take some time to read the instructions!
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-PCB.jpg

NOTE: The polarity of the diodes is incorrect in the above photo. Make sure you double check the polarity of all diodes and capacitors. The metal tab should line up with the thick white line on the PCB. Fortunately Rodney pointed this out to me prior to power up. Thanks Rodney.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-PCB-Bottom.jpg
I used a dab of silicone heat sink paste on the LM317HV regulator. Other than that, I followed the instructions.
Bare with me, but there will be more to follow in the next few of days.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 20:54 
Editor

Quick update - I got the second amp built on the weekend. I am very pleased with the mono-blocks. Dead quiet (zero hum with ear to Fostex FE206E drivers). The bottom end is solid and the response is smooth and detailed. Less than 20 hours on them so far, but I am happy right now. :mrgreen: This is my first time hearing a 5751 and I like it. I'll roll it for some tubes I am more familiar with to check for sound differences.

I'll get more photos up in the next day or so. I also plan to get these on the scope too.

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 06:49 

Gio,

Congratulations on getting them finished. I am looking forward to pictures and scope results.

Alan