DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 07:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 13:44 

Guitar playing brothers. I'll probably try to find a DIY blog for this online but does anyone know much about tube amp mantinence? I have a power tube in my Carvin V3 amp that glows really brightly to the point where it looks like it's burning. It's clear that it's not a tube that is the problem, but something in the amp since I have switched around the tubes and it's the same spot, not the same tube that glows.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 07:38 

Sounds like that the tube in that location is red-plating if I read that correctly. That is caused by a lack of bias, and the tube is drawing way to much current. This could be a bad capacitor, broken solder, bad tube socket.
Time to take it to someone who knows what to look for.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 16:35 

ThomasDuffy123 wrote:
Guitar playing brothers.

Here :)
Everything that you write indicates a possible malfunction. The best way in this situation is to give the amplifier for diagnosis. Do not try to correct the situation by yourself, it can be dangerous.
If I remember correctly, then this amplifier has only a switch on the rear panel to select the type of tubes. You will not be able to check the bias yourself. So, as it was said before - in service, for diagnostics.