DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Jul 2019, 14:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 02:16 
Project Author

Robbie7 wrote:
I am new to the forum and would like to purchase the K272A kit. It would be a nice addition to my Ipod. I am located in the U.S.A. Sun City, California. I have done some searching on the internet however I could not find a supplier in the U.S.A. I do not wish to bid on it on the ebay site.
Is there a site that I can order this from ?

After finding a Magnavox FM-45, 40 watt stereo at a home sale, buying it and taking it home and cleaning it up. I found that it works ! I was hooked on tubes. My next idea was a simple tube-amplifier for my Ipod, I don't know what is out on the market for that.

For Christmas I received a tube-Amplifier from Acoustic Research.

I am thinking a portable tube-Amp would me fun to build and right up my alley to start off with for my second tube project.

I supply the K272 kits with upgrade parts. If you are not comfortable purchasing through eBay I am happy to supply and ship. It is possibly cheaper through Oatley but many have prefered I supply the kit with upgrade parts. Let me know if you are interested.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 19:54 

Thanks for the updated info,
This is great.
However, I am out of town until next week.
I am very interested in purchasing the kit with the upgraded parts, can you send me the info on where and how to order.
I would like to also include in the order spare tubes (2) if possible.
I should be able to place my order sometime next week.
Thanks again.
Robert

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 01:46 
Project Author

Just e-mail me when ready. I can supply extra tubes too.

I have a kit, with upgraded parts ready to ship.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 11:49 

Great,
Did I miss it. The contact e-mail address?
Robert

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 16:13 
Project Author

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 17:07 

Done,
I sent the info to the e-mail provided.

Robbie

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 11:25 
Editor

Hi Guys, here are some more comments from Oatley regarding the new kits and life of the 6418 tubes:
Quote:
Besides the more economical battery operation of the K272A, there is also another major improvement.. The top side of the double sided PCB is almost completely grounded. The PCB assembly should not need any additional shielding.

REGARDING THE TUBE LIFE: After over 2160 hours of continuous operation, the anode currents of the 2 tubes we are testing, are the within +/- 2mV, to what they were after 100 hours of operation. I strongly suspect that in normal operation these tubes would last a lifetime!

REGARDING THE TUBE MICROPHONICS: Grommets were used in the Prototypes mainly because they are of a regular shape, and look good. BLU-TACK adhesive is readily available and works very well. Other products that are probably suitable are Play-dough, and even chewing gum! You can get Play-dough recipes on the Internet!.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 01:24 

Hi all,
That's great news !
Do these new kits have a rev. number ?, so when I order the kit I would like to receive the newest kit available :thumbsup: .

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 07:31 

I think it's a pity Oatley didn't allow for physically larger output caps to be mounted. The older kit can accomodate 12.5mm diameter caps like the excellent Elna Silmic's. The latest revison limits your choice of upgrade output caps.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 09:46 

Quote:
REGARDING THE TUBE MICROPHONICS: Grommets were used in the Prototypes mainly because they are of a regular shape, and look good. BLU-TACK adhesive is readily available and works very well. Other products that are probably suitable are Play-dough, and even chewing gum!

I use two short pieces of silicone tubing with the side cut open. Works great!
Attachment:
DSC_0363a.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next