DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 00:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 04:58 

What a pity!
Ben, what happened. I don't doubt that all wires You connected right!
Did You try this transf before?

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 09:02 

No was bad new and all the voltages were right, too, the amp worked great, probably a factory fault. Shit happens. Now still got the transformer frm the GU32 amp, I will cut another hammond and start over.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 10:22 

Ben! What kind of brand transformer is dead?

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 10:36 

Hi Nikola,

that was a no name brand from the tube store where I buy most my stuff. I am gonna try my little transformer, itg does 400 ma, probably enough. It will heat the filaments, I already tested that.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 11:52 
Editor

Hi Ben, can you post a photo of the finished underside. Looking back at the photos, the heatsink on the CCS may be a little on the small side, particularly if you mount it to the underside of the chassis and there is no ventilation. 400mA should be sufficient for the HT.
Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 13:01 

No Gio I can't because I ripped everything out the Hammond, the amp is nonexistent right now. Wait, I'll make a picture of the empty case. It was definitely the transformer, I alligator clipped the small toroid transformer into the amp and everything works fine, and this one is lots smaller than the big one. What really pisses me off, is that I really build the two power supply's rather nicely, now with the other transformer I gotta start over new, it has only one secondary and it is really on the small side. Right now I don't know. Gotta go to the hospital this week and have a littl tumor removed for the second time, chances are I won't come back anyay,so why worry about a stupid tube amp. For today I had it, my friends.

Greetigs

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 22:30 

Hi guys,

I am not having much luck with my kt88. I only got the output stage of the left channel hooked up, but it conducts way too much current and my 2 100 ohm resistors smoke. Everything is hooked up right. If I disconnect the LM317, no current flows, no smoking resistors either. I exchanged the LM317, didn't do the trick, changed the resistor to 8,2 ohm, still smoking 100 ohm resistors. If you look at the picture, it is nothing hooked up what can cause that. Maybe my brand KT88 don't work with this schematic at all? The output stage seems to work, I get hum to the speakers, just not long untill the resistors smoke. Please help.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 22:40 

The kt88 get very hot within seconds and conduct way too much current, I don't know why? Please help

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 22:48 

Bennybuis wrote:
The kt88 get very hot within seconds and conduct way too much current, I don't know why? Please help

Recheck the wiring to make sure there are no errors.

Do you have a second pair of KT88s that you can try?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 23:08 

Hi guys, if you look at the picture, only pin 3 and 4 (plate and grid 2) the 220 ohm resistor on pin 5 and the lm 317 are installed, so only the left output stage is hooked up and it conducts way too much current and the tubes get hot and the two 100 ohm resistors blow. I really can't find nothing wrong with it. Please help.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next