DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 May 2018, 19:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 00:37 

Hallo everybody,

time for me to start a serious project. I have a quad of matched Sovtec
Attachment:
KT88 enclosure.jpg
KT88 with witch I wanna build the OddWatt mono blocks, just that I will fit everything in one enclosure, still building each channel starting with the PSU separately. Here are the specs of my power transformer:

Torodial 340VA Power
Pri: 0-115-230 V (gelb-weiss-grau/yellow-white-grey)
Sec 1: 350 V @ 0,4 A (rot-grün/red-green)
Sec 2: 350 V @ 0,4 A (weiss-blau/white-blue)
Sec 3: 50 V @ 0,1 A (schwarz-schwarz/black-black)
Sec 4: 50 V @ 0,1 A (braun-braun/brown-brown)
Sec 5: 6,3 V @ 4,0 A (orange-orange)
Sec 6: 6,3 V @ 4,0 A (lila-lila/purple-purple)

Pretty nice, I can really build mono blocks in one enclosure. Here is the photo of the enclosure. don't know yet, if I will use that, it is depending on if I can fit everything nicely, but I am a wooden box fetishist, ha ha.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 00:42 

Many thanks to Bruce Heran from OddWatt to make this possible and for helping me and countless others on a daily basis, and for answering my stupid questions so patiently and for calculating the ccs resistor for all my silly projects. Thanks Bruce.

This is the kt88 obbblock schematic I will use except that mine will have thermal delay tubes instead of a timer chip (OUCH)

Today my power transformer will arrive and I can see if everything fits. Will keep sending photos.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 02:29 

Hallo everybody,

Attachment:
kt88.jpg

those are the tubes I will use. I hope, that they will stay balanced in this setup. Does anybody have experience with this tube?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 03:44 

Hi Ben
Realy a very nice box you have for this project ,i think wood and tubes look nice.
I have no experience with the sovtek kt88 tubes , but normally sovtek perform very well.
What output tranny are you planning to use?.
nkdk

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 05:35 

Hallo everybody,

I will use Edcors, CXPP25-8-5K, they will do the job.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 06:09 

Ben!
Try to put switch for UL and triode mode /connect 2 grid to UL tap or to plate across R= 300 ohm/
and compare the sound.

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 11:49 

Hallo everybody,

well now I got it all in house except the 1st 4 filter caps, and those I will get tomorrow. I decided to not use my wooden enclosure, that stuff is too heavy and expensive, I got myself a nice and big Hammond case, tonight I will start putting it together, cutting holes for my KT88

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 12:11 

Ben!
Put 2 and 3 KT88 on the left and right front corners, away from toroid.

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 13:09 

Thanks Azazello,

I am not quite ready to cut any holes, haven't decided to where things should go, I am still planning. It has to be the steel case, I love wood, but the power transformer is very heavy on it's own, and the Edvor output transformers are heavy, too. My wooden box will just break under it's weight, I am afraid. The CCS resistor for the LM317 on this amp is only 6,8 ohm, so the LM317 will get pretty warm, I need a good cooler, will get that tomorrow and the first 4 filter caps, rated to 500 volts. It's coming together, by the time it's weekend I will know how my Sovtek KT 88 will sound, I am excited. Here are more pics.,

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 13:51 

Ben!
I'd advise You to use fast rect. diodes 4 pcs. BYV26E, it's almost like rect. tube.
It will better for sound.
/You have an Email/.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next