DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 11:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 02:40 

Bennybuis wrote:
... a little while ago I build a simple amp for my telly using those output transformers I got from Magnus and the 12B4A ...

Ben - Would u mind sharing the schematic for your 12BA4 guitar amp. I also play a tele guitar and might try to build it. Thank you.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 15:02 

Hi Jim,
sure. Here you go.
Attachment:
12B4A simple amplifier.jpg

That is the output stage, sounds very good, here comes the complete amp with css, the css resistor is wrong, should be 50 ohm or so.

This amplifier is worth building it, Jim, I will build it definitely again

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 15:43 

Bennybuis wrote:
... here comes the complete amp with css, the css resistor is wrong, should be 50 ohm or so

Hi Ben -- thansk again for posting this? I am confused - is there a preamp???? Plus I don't see a css or at least what I think a css is. Looks like a common bypassed cathode bias setup to me -- am I missing something :confused:. Did you get a chance to post everything? Thanks again for your time Ben.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 16:22 

Sorry, wrong picture, here comes the complete schematic, just the css resistor should be 50 ohm at 275 volts B+
Attachment:
12B4A amp.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 00:27 

Bennybuis wrote:
here comes the complete schematic ...

Thank you Ben for your continuing kindness. This looks like a fun amp to build - I will do this one first. Can yo tell me which leads you used on the 100V Output transformer? I think Magnus sent me a picture. Better yet could you measure the DC resistance between the two primary leads? Then I can try to reproduce that her. Thank you again Benny - you are nice to help me.

It is strange I still have not received the sub-minis. I am not mad at you or anything. It is just strange huh?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 00:44 

Hi Jim,
I used the Yellow and black leads for the primary, yellow going to the plate of the 12B4A and black being B+. Wait if I can dig up a picture.
Attachment:
output transformers.jpg

And the two leads on the other side, I think its red and black, black is ground and red is output. To the primary leads, yellow and black works real good with 12B4a, so good, that i didn't try the other leads, to my shame. Maybe another one will work even better, you are welcome to experiment. Please share any improvement you may find. I am using this amplifier every day for as long as my telly is running, and my lay is watching a lot.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 03:58 

Hi, Ben!
How is the resistance between yellow an black primary, compared to another prim. wires?

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 07:54 

Hi Nikola,

measured with a cheap multimeter it is about 400 ohm, all the others are less impedance.

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 11:14 

Ben, I am puzzled by the role of your CCS in this schematic. If the cathode current is constant, then so is the anode current, and hence no audio output at all. (Quite a different story from a PP design like the Oddwatt, where the *total* current through the two output tubes is constant, but the relative proportion through each is varying with the signal.) But for SE amps, surely a constant current through the output tube is not what is wanted?

Chris

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 14:11 

Well, I get your point, you are right! But why is my amp then working, and good, too? I am listening to it right now, it is connected to my main television and running all day long (My wife is a real TV baby),

Cheers

My DIY Audio Projects:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next