DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 16:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 14:07 
Project Author

Hi, It might have survived. Fix the wiring and see.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 14:27 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, while not strictly a Poddwatt...the mini mono blocks are the same as 1/2 of the Dual Mono Block version. I decided I wanted to fix a slight amount of residual hum in mine. It was not audible but showed on the scope. I tracked it down to the AC heaters. So rummaging through the parts bins I found a pair of 12 SMPS. They were made by Portrans which is now apparently part of Meanwell as they carry them now. The part number is below. Not expensive and really nice. I added a 10Kuf cap on the output side as there was a "birdie" at 1.2KHZ. even at a low level I had concerns it might get into the sound. The cap fixed that. A smaller one would probably do just fine. They were what was at hand at the moment. The case is from Amazon and at $30 each (prime) not expensive. They completely come apart. The metal is steel, but it is light gauge. This is both a good and bad thing. Easy to drill, but easy to bend. The amps are really quiet now and like before sound great. I never met and EL84 that I didn't like...some more than others though. The T03 on the back of the case, is a "K" version of the LM317.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Metal-Enc ... B00LGKE2GQ

http://www.jameco.com/z/RS-50-12-Mean-W ... 23396.html

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
Blue Blocks 2.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 16:35 

The Blue Blocks look great! I really like the LM317 on the outside too. I'd be tempted to put it on top of the chassis. The TO3 looks like it belongs with the other components. Very cool.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 01:49 

AA regulator in a TO3-capsule???!!! I haven't seen anything like that for centuries. I will shortly begin to finish a project where the driver stage uses a LM317. However my arrangement doesn't look good so the use of the TO3 versions could be a solution.
Thanks gofar for the brilliant idea!

Sorry for OT, but this is how it looks today. I started out with two tubes in the input and driver section, now only one, hooked up like the oddwatts.

Attachment:
6L6-42.jpg

Edit: snagged a packet of 5 LM317K at AliExpress. Wonder how many of them are really OK .... :confused:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 18:48 

Hi everyone. Been away (scorchio costa del sol). Found main problem, output tranny sec windings wound wrong. trannys have a common, 4ohm, 8ohm and 16ohm taps, My outputs were connected to the common to 8ohm taps, but after checking everything tested sec winding continuity and found no circuit between com and 8ohm tap only between com and 4ohm and between 8 and 16ohm taps on both trannys. connected speakers to com and 4ohm and got beautiful music! Thought sorted, I'll send them back and get them re-wound. Tried lamp later and only got a really quiet output. Don't know why, Anyway, trannys sent back to manufacturer (they thought they may have used an old data sheet), waiting for there return. Meantime I'm going to check tubes, Luckily I've got a guitar valve amp I built a few years ago that uses same tubes (12ax7 and el84), so I'll swap to check. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 21:46 
Project Author

Hi Soundbrigade....those are the biggest EL84s I have ever seen. :D Yes I did see the caption under the photo. I have used several different tubes in the same basic design. The 6L6WXT+ sounded the best of them to me. A few extra watts too boot.

Good Listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 01:39 

Guess I simply mixed the various PoddWatt threads. Sorry. :blush:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 08:38 
Project Author

Hi, No issue, I was just messing with you. :)

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 08:57 

I noticed when checking new posts that there is a "general PoddWatt" thread and this one. Propably I messed them up.
But admit that my muscle-EL84s are imposing?!
If anyone wonders, they could have been 50CA10 (got 7-8 of that kind), but they are Russian 6P3S-E, a version of 6L6 with slightly lower specs regarding power/voltage/current.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2017, 18:54 

Amp finally finished! Problems with output trannys sorted. Sounds really good. Hardly any hiss (ac heaters). One problem with neg feedback, loads of distortion when connected. Tried swapping secondries as recommended in previous posts but to no avail so decided to leave disconnected, still sounds great!

[imgImage][/img]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next