DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 11:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 12:29 
Project Author

Hi, You should not need to make any changes.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 16:06 

Thanks Bruce.
Another that might have been asked, but here goes.
Pins 9 from the EL84's to the output transformer, are these to the UL taps at 43%? (the output transformers I'm looking at have taps at 20% and 43%)

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 21:02 
Project Author

Hi I use 43% taps. I think they work better for this design than other values. (37-43% are fine)

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 15:11 
Project Author

Hi Everyone. Anyone notice anything unusual with the PW? BTW, this is what happens when you have lots of parts and get bored.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
PW Variant.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 06:55 

Oooh, a "podwatt octal"!
What are those tubes? 12SL7 driver?
What about the output tubes?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 09:36 
Project Author

Hi, Maybe I should call it a Poctcal. Yes a variation of the Poddwatt. The power tubes are 12A6. I got a batch cheaply. They are similar to 6V6 and 6AQ5 for specs. I plan on initially running them at 30ma each. Power output should be about 4-5 watts class A, U/L. The driver is a 12SL7. I tried to find a metal 12SL7...but could not find one at a decent price. A fun project to tinker with. I have not yet decided to make it a budget project with all Solen caps and GXPP trannies or higher quality with Audyn caps and CXPP trannies. Largely because I have no idea what I am going to do with it when built. I already have many more amps than needed.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 17:42 

Can someone please point me to an updated and detailed parts list for this project. also the edcore parts numbers dont seem to be valid?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 12:58 
Project Author

Hi, Be sure to look at the end of the project write up and also on the threads for the Dual Mono Block Poddwatt and the Mini Mono Blocks (they BTW are essentially the same as a Dual Mono Block cut in two). As far as I know there are no parts lists (I don't generally make them)...the schematics cover all the parts. The expectation is that someone who would want to build these projects would be somewhat familiar with parts sources. I do not consider any of the variations of the Poddwatt (there are 3 main ones) as entry level projects. They are more in the intermediate range. It is expected that the builder has some understanding of tube circuits and things like layout and basic construction methods. BTW, If you contact EDCOR they will be able to supply the transformers. There are two numbering systems. One is the listing on the site and one is for OEM companies (like Oddwatt Audio). I/We have had them develop some specialized transformers. We at Oddwatt have authorized Edcor to sell the OEM ones direct to customers as part of our support to the DIY community. Many times if you look at the standard listings it will also list the OEM number. For example the CXPP10-MS-10K was developed for Oddwatt and also has an OEM number (EMO750). There are also a few "package" deals at the end of the transformer listings. Some are for the transformers used in my projects. I hope this helps you.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 21:47 

gofar99 wrote:
The driver is a 12SL7. I tried to find a metal 12SL7...but could not find one at a decent price.

Probably because it doesn't exist Bruce. All 12/6SL7 are 'GT'. The predecessor tube was the 12/6SC7 which is a metal tube, with slightly different specs.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 00:33 

Hi All.
I just finished an Oddwatt built from the S2 schematic. I was hoping to ask a few questions that relate to the specifics of my build. The amp I built is essentially two mono blocks on one chassis. The two amps share only a power inlet and volume pot. The power supplies are completely different from the schematic as I wanted to use parts that I had at hand, and they use a voltage doubler for each amp. The amp uses a pair of Kenwood/Trio output transformers that do not have an Ultralinear tap. I have three questions. Should I connect the feedback circuit, or should I not bother as this is a class A, triode amp? I have the feedback connected with leads because I wasn't sure which side of the speaker terminal to use. This means that I can flip back and forth between terminals or disconnect it entirely. I can't discern any difference between any of the three ways that it can be connected, although it is very difficult to A/B this way. My understanding from the text is that the feedback has a very subtle effect. Secondly, how much difference would it make sound quality wise to build it as a Series 2C, considering that I am not using UL OPTs? The third question relates to whether or not I should bother buying a set of output transformers with UL taps. I don't really need more watts, as all the speakers I own are at least 97db/w/m, and the amp plays loudly enough as it is. Will I get better sound quality if I swap the OPTs and get ones with UL taps? It was my intention to do a build with what I had at hand, and I was successful in doing so, but now I am suffering from post build anxiety about my choices. I will post some photos of the build shortly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 73  Next