DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 02:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 15:26 

What is the secondary output voltage and current rating for the B+? I'm playing around with an idea in my head before I order the kit.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 17:52 
Project Author

Hi, The B+ is just under 250 volts and the current needs to be at least 300ma for good operation.

I would avoid going higher on the B+ as you can easily exceed the 6005s dissipation and cook them.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 17:57 

atwageman wrote:
What is the secondary output voltage and current rating for the B+? I'm playing around with an idea in my head before I order the kit.
Have you read the reviews of this kit? Not very many nice things being said about it. You may want to look at K- 502 or the S5 12G. These are the more tried and true versions. There is also the soon to be released Tubelab.com Simple PP (scroll down to get the the Simple PP). You can find all kinds of posts from George over at DIYAUDIO.COM. He is well liked and well respected and here is a link the Simple PP thread.

Cheers, Alan

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 00:59 
Editor

Hi atwageman, here is a scan of the K-16LS tube amp schematic which was recently posted.

Hi Alan, subjective reviews of the K16 have been pretty mixed. I think I have seen more positive than bad reviews now.

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 06:56 

I am Ben from Holland and I have the kit. I love it and it was also me who posted the scope results. Well I am pretty new to all of this so I hope the information you will get from me will help. I just recently went into tubes, asking Bruce and Gio all kinds of stupid questions. Both of them where nice enough to answer all of them patiently. Thanks guys.

The kit sounds very very good as is. I decided to make my first project out of it and duplicate it with some modifications and wire it point to point.

First of all, the output transformer has about 180 VAC secondary and center tapped 6.3 volts for the filaments. Yesterday I ordered an output transformer with the following specs:

Primär: 230V

Sekundär: 2 x 0 - 170V - 230V, 0,3A
6,3V, 3,2A
6,3V, 2,5A
5V, 2A (für GZ34 Heizung)
100V, 0,05A (für eventuelle neg. Gittervorspannung)

I will get it in a couple of weeks. I also have two output transformers from Edcor with 40 % ultra linear tap and 8 Ohm secondary coming, in about 3 weeks.

I already got all the tubes and sockets, so that is something.

Just a few minutes ago I got the raw casings from the local carpenter, who has fun making them for me, and I like what he did so far. I will post pics in a minute.

It's been weeks since I decided to start on that project and it has been very challenging to chase all the parts from Holland, but now it seems like I get it together, I am exited, especially since this is my first real project. I will also post a better version of the schematic, after I photoshop it for a while ;)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

My DIY Audio Projects:
- Single-Ended 12B4A tube amp with ECC802S driver
- DIY Push-Pull KT88 tube amp (OddWatt amp from scratch)
- 832 / GU32 tube push-pull amplifier project

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 19:19 

here are the specs from the original transformers from that kit as information is provided from S 5. I hope that helps.

Output Transformer
Ratio 35 : 1
Primary Resistance 400 ohms
Secondary Impedance 8 ohms
Power 10 watts

Power Transformer
120 / 220 VAC in
180VAC @ 250 mA Secondary #1
6.0 VAC @ 5.5 A Center Tapped Secondary #2

My DIY Audio Projects:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 17:10 

Yes that helps a lot. Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 22:49 
Editor

The primary impedance for the audio output transformer is not correct. Perhaps it should be 4k instead of 400 ohm?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 10:29 

Hallo everybody,

the information on the output transformers is as provided from S5, I did not make an mistake posting it. After thoughts with Gio we figured that this info maybe wrong and it should be round 4k. Well wrong, too. The impedance is the real ohm resistance measured with a multimeter. What the real impedance on the stock transformers is, I have no idea. They work good enough on my kit, though.

My DIY Audio Projects: