DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 13:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 5998A SET
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 02:36 

I have covered the mains tranny, but the Edcores looks ike that. I had an idea to remove the metal that makes up for the "feet", but I noticed that the transformer core wasn't soldered together and I didn't want to disturb things, changing the "settings" of the tranny. Else I would have droppedthe transformers through as well.
Also, TODAY I would have gone for a readymade, more adapted transformer instead of my off-the-shelf-sh*t.

After pimping the 5998A-SSE (Singeltube SingelEnd):

Even the sun has blemishes:

Cleaned up the interior. Have to add some resistors to the input as gain is very high. Or try removing the cathode caps of the driver tubes.

This is the interior of the 5998A-PSE:

With a scratched end bell ... :down:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 05:08 
Project Author

Magnus: so what do the shoes sound like?

Boring out the chopping board would have been an awful job. Nice top and sides though. With my Intermezzo amp I put similar Edors in a small metal case on top of the amp. It doubled for an RCA and speaker binding post mounting point.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 05:49 

Clickety-clic! Clickety-clic! They are absolutely fantastic, but my libidious object (my wife) says the heels are too high for her.

I made a few mistakes boring out the board. First, I made the board to narrow so I had to add strips of birch. Maybe the board, which is offcut from my Unorthodox 2-way speakers was too small from the beginning.
Second I though I could carve out the "intestines" with a router. FInally I ended up using a drill bit suitable for making candlesticks. Setting the drill to a specifik drill depth fised my problems. The final adjustemnts made with achisel.
Third, I didn't consider the fact that the front and end pieces made som 6-7 mm thick would be extremyl brittl, so I had to glue a piece of wood along the front and back.
Else I must say that this way of making a suitable chassis is pretty fun and not that difficult. I haven't really considered the need for a screen of some kind, but time will tell.
As can be seen I have installed the mains switch as well as potentiometer far inside the chassis and will use plastic "dowels" (from ladies heels :thumbsup: ) to the knobs on the front. That way I don't risk shorting anyting or having my knobs running at 270VDC ... :hot:

Talkning about the look of transformers. There are various ways of consealing them. The HK shop VT4C has special boxes (nice looking ones) for both EI and toroid trannies. Else you have to find a transformer that "looks good", or that is made to look good with the help of some bell ends. And yet you have to find a good enough transformer. :confused:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 11:00 

I know this Magnus's amplifier, it sounded in audiophill meeting in Goteborg 2011. I noted, it sounded awesome with Magnus Sonido hornes.

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 11:30 

Azazello: you remember the 6L6 amp with bad sockets. Had the same problem with the noval socket i the green 5998A.

―Lewis Carroll