DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 09:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 5998A SET
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 12:22 
Editor

Looks great Magnus. So the LED in the knob, is it just a length of wire that moves back and forth?
Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 12:34 

I wound the cable (from a butchered cheap in-ear head phone) two turns around the axles so it doesn't brake at once.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 10:22 

I have started next project on the same theme - Triodino 3:

Same tube(s) but each tube has its both triodes parallelled, thus doubling the "effect" (power). I have all bits and pieces ready (though where all the resistors and caps went, I dunno :confused: ), but lese; sockets, transformers, connectors are all in place in the solid wooden chassis.

I choose sold wood just to make the amp top stand out a bit, and to aim for a very lean design.

Potentiometer and mains switch are located inside the box to minimize length of wires.

Many parts are re-used like the speaker terminals.
My biggest concern are the OP transformers - Edcor XSE15-8-2,5K. Will they survive the 90mA bias current? Edcore has not such info on their site any longer, so this will be a GO/NOGO test ...

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 16:28 
Editor

Hi Magnus, nice chassis work. Did you use a forstner bit to hollow it out?
Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 19:28 

Typically the sections on the 5998 don't match, and you so may have to use seperate cathode resistors to get the tubes to balance out.

Also if you do a 3rd amp, I suggest a 1K or less primary plate load. The RP of those tubes is very low, around 350 ohms.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 02:34 

I had planned to use a router to "carve out" the piece of wood, but I ended up with a drillbit used for candle holders and finalizing with a chisel.

Right now when I am struggling myself, I could consider using soem 6L6 (I have a spare Chinese pair) instead but could a single 6SL7 be sufficient??

The idea with the 5998A amplifiers is simplicity. The first one is a stereo single output tube 3W amp and the second a 3 tube (4 with rectifier) 7W stereo amp. Therefore, If I was to use separate cathode resistors, I'd use the same value (1K). Also I am too lazy to spend too much energy and time to fiddle with my projects.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 17:18 

Hello Magnus, what kind of B+ does this setup need? I know where to get the tubes, down in Florida. That place has actually milions of tubes.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 09:44 

I really don't know, but Va=307V and Vtransformer is 2 x 270V.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 12:35 

A short update.
Have had some problems with the amp. One channel muted so I started yesterday rebuilding the small board that houses various components. Still nothing worked. Rewired everything again using point-to-point connections. What surprised me was that there was no voltage on the cathodes. Some 2.7V would have been normal, but nothing! :confused:
"wobbled" the input tube and HEY! did that rock!!! Aha, bad sockets (again). Changed the socket and now all works OK.
Changed the LED-knob for a BIG brass nob. Photos to follow another day.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 21:04 
Project Author

Great looking amp. I'd like to see the bare trannies and chokes covered.