DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Nov 2020, 22:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 12:42 

Got a quad of Tung-Sol KT120s today and installed them. They look and sound very nice. It's hard to do a side-by-side comparison but to my ears the bottom is more solid than the KT77s. Running them at ~65mA for now (the "low") setting until they've burned in a bit, though I did switch to the 90mA setting and everything seemed fine. No circuit mods as my XPWR117 can handle the filament currents OK.

They look nice too. Thanks for suggesting this, and thanks again for a fantastic design!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 14:29 
Project Author

Hi, Looks nice. It reminds me of one of my recent projects. The extra tubes are 12AU7s used for extra gain to compensate for the use of a balance control. The amp as shown is an integrated 25 watt per channel stereo version of the Oddblocks. A heavy beast thus the handles on the sides.

EDIT: BTW the power tubes are the Blue Glass JJ KT88s from my original amps (now 12 years old). They work and test fine. That is one of my design goals to make stuff that has very long tube life.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
Front 9-18-2020.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2020, 18:55 

Interesting minor issue. I elected to go with AC heaters to simplify things a bit. With KT77 and KT88 tubes this was fine, but interestingly with Tung-Sol KT120s there is audible 120Hz hum directly from the tubes themselves (or possibly the wiring or transformers.) I know it's just the heaters, since I can pull out the relay which switches on the HV and I still hear it, and it sounds to be coming from the tubes.

When I'm playing music it is completely inaudible, but it bothers me a bit. I guess that's an argument in favor of DC heaters, though there is really no audible hum through the speakers.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 21:43 
Project Author

Hi, Curious, it would seem that any tubes in the same family (KTs) woul dbehave the same. I wonder if your power transformer is not up to the load and actually the source of the hum. Using DC on mine vs AC the difference is relatively small roughly a difference of about 2 db at a 1 watt. Usually not audible since typical builds have a hum and noise level of around -90 to -95 db at 1 watt. I'm really picky about hum and noise so I always take the quietest route.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205