DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 18:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61
PostPosted: 09 May 2018, 10:33 
Project Author

Hi, Old age must be getting to me... :eek: ...I do have an EL and yes it works fine with the PLT-1 at 12:1. This is what happens to you when you have 6 turntables and at least 12 cartridges. I have not used the Hana in a while. My present go to combination is a custom direct drive turntable using the drive and controls from a Dual 701 with a Jelco 370H arm and Grado Sonata (MI). Number two is a Sota with Jelco 370H arm and Dynavector Karat 23RS-MR with the PLT-1. The others don't get much use at present. (Transcriptor Saturn, Empire 598, Philips 212, Pro-ject DBIII).

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 11:28 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Old age must be getting to me... :eek: ...I do have an EL and yes it works fine with the PLT-1 at 12:1. This is what happens to you when you have 6 turntables and at least 12 cartridges. I have not used the Hana in a while. My present go to combination is a custom direct drive turntable using the drive and controls from a Dual 701 with a Jelco 370H arm and Grado Sonata (MI). Number two is a Sota with Jelco 370H arm and Dynavector Karat 23RS-MR with the PLT-1. The others don't get much use at present. (Transcriptor Saturn, Empire 598, Philips 212, Pro-ject DBIII).

Good listening
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I know the feeling regarding this age thing quite well...

Q - how would you compare the Dynavector and Grado to the Hana? If you've already commented in other places, let me know that as well. Since I'm upgrading several pieces in the signal path, I have options available, so I'm looking at as much information as I can get.

Thanks again,

Phil

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 12:36 
Project Author

Hi, Kind of like apples and oranges. Dynavector Karat: lively, highly detailed, really nice on stuff like cymbals, plucked string instruments. Costly. It you listen to high energy music, it would be the choice. Also for really detailed music. I understand that the new Karat 17D is similar, but don't know for sure. The 23RS-MR was discontinued a long time ago and mine has been re-tipped. The Grado is new. A series 2 Sonata. Really nice with all the lush stuff that Grados are known for...but unlike them very detailed, plenty of top end and authoritative. Bottom end is really solid. Wide sound stage, tracks well at 1.7gm. Great for vocals, vintage music, jazz. Mellow stuff is sublime. The Hana IMO is a really nice cartridge as well. Somewhere between the DV and Grado. Easy to listen to. Not the energy of the DV nor the authority of the Grado. It doesn't do anything wrong. On the warm side of neutral. It could be a go to for most folks. I like the Grado better though. Another really good cartridge is the Dynavector 10X5. I no longer have one, but really liked it. Not as energetic as the Karat and not quite as mellow as the Hana. A good go to as well. On the other side of neutral from the Hana. All these thoughts are based on my system....all tube phono preamp (slight variation of the posted Groove), all tube line stage (variation of the Forewatt), all tube power amps (similar to the KT88 Oddblocks but using EL34s alternating with EL84 mono blocks similar to the Mini-watts) and what are essentially updated Altec Lansing Magnificents (200+ liter vented box with 15 inch Great Plains Audio woofer and Radian horn driver on a SEOS wave guide).

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 14:53 

Hmmm....

I found a used 23RS-MR for not much more than the Hana EL.

I'm not familiar with re-tipping - is that done through manufacturer or other service? I know this is off-topic, but I appreciate your thoughts, as I am building a similar sound path except for speakers. I also have older ears as well...

A retipped 23RS-MR for less than $1K is doable...

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 15:14 
Project Author

Hi, it would be a good score if it has already been done or still has lots of miles left....hard to tell unless you can see it. Re-tipping is done in the US by either Needle Clinic or Soundsmith (others possibly too) it is pretty costly typically for a cartridge of this quality figure $300 range. Dynavector just exchanges them for new Karat D17s for a much larger cost. There are re-tippers in other countries as well.

I got lucky, mine was not to expensive and had been re-tipped.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 10:58 

Hi there,

1) Correct: the input for both regulators is from the main 245V filtered source.

2) Incorrect: the outputs from both regulators are independent and must not be wired together.

Best regards

metaldog99 wrote:
I am preparing to wire up (point-to-point with perf board) the GrooveWatt, as I am waiting on my last order from Mouser. I have a question on the power supply schematic - I want to clarify that my understanding is correct:

1. The inputs to the Left and Right LR8K4 are electrically connected together, both being fed in parallel from the 245 vdc filtered output.
2. The outputs of the Left and Right LR8K4 are also electrically connected together - providing bias up the heater circuit.

I get 1.), but I don't quite get 2.)

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks,

Phil

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 18:04 

OK, thanks.

So that I'm clear - the output of one of the regulators is connected via the 220K resistor to the filament circuit?

victorzwk wrote:
Hi there,

1) Correct: the input for both regulators is from the main 245V filtered source.

2) Incorrect: the outputs from both regulators are independent and must not be wired together.

Best regards

metaldog99 wrote:
I am preparing to wire up (point-to-point with perf board) the GrooveWatt, as I am waiting on my last order from Mouser. I have a question on the power supply schematic - I want to clarify that my understanding is correct:

1. The inputs to the Left and Right LR8K4 are electrically connected together, both being fed in parallel from the 245 vdc filtered output.
2. The outputs of the Left and Right LR8K4 are also electrically connected together - providing bias up the heater circuit.

I get 1.), but I don't quite get 2.)

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks,

Phil

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 06:38 

That's right. This connection will only provide a reference voltage to lift the heater circuit above ground potential.

It draws no current other than through the voltage divider resistors (100K + 220K @ 208 V = 0,65 mA).

Regards.

metaldog99 wrote:
OK, thanks.

So that I'm clear - the output of one of the regulators is connected via the 220K resistor to the filament circuit?

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 13:27 

Thanks for the clarification - I appreciate the help. When the comment on the schematic indicated that the referenced section was duplicated, the engineer in me took it literally - but tying the outputs together didn't make sense.

victorzwk wrote:
That's right. This connection will only provide a reference voltage to lift the heater circuit above ground potential.

It draws no current other than through the voltage divider resistors (100K + 220K @ 208 V = 0,65 mA).

Regards.

metaldog99 wrote:
OK, thanks.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 21:12 
Project Author

Hi, correct, you only need one reference source for the entire heater circuit. and the low current drain doesn't matter to the LR8 that is providing it.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61