DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Mar 2021, 02:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Blob
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 10:48 
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jun 2008, 20:59
Posts: 4325
Location: Arizona, USA
Hi Everyone,

Thwarted by the blob

It got me, made me frustrated. It made me waste a lot of time. For several days it confounded me. I looked everywhere for the problem. I checked each connection, each cable, tested all the tubes. I took apart the phono preamp at least 10 times. It always checked out fine on the bench, but not in the system. Ugh, double ugh. :confused: It did give me the opportunity to upgrade some internal wiring and interconnects though. :thumbsup: Not the problem. What was happening was that the one phono preamp would stop putting out sound on one channel at random intervals in the system. All the other gear attached (4 amps, the line stage, the crossover, the other phono preamp, CD, and speakers) checked out fine and behaved like expected. The preamp always worked on the bench. So I figured the problem had to be somewhere else. Wrong, double wrong. Finally I spied the problem, a small blob of solder that was stuck on the bottom side of the left channel output jack. :mad: On the bench the cables put just enough side pressure on the jack to keep it from shorting out. In the system because of the way the cables were arranged the pressure was less. So at random intervals it would short out. Now all is fine. The blob has gone to blob Valhalla. Or considering my less polite thoughts on the issue some place much warmer. :censored:

I hope you week has gone better.

Good listening

Some of my DIY Tube Amplifier Projects:

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy