DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 21:05 

what sort of gates are you using?
a good many gates like comp/limiters have side chain or keyed input that can act as on/off remote triggers. even if the gates are located at the FOH rack(insert it on your vocal channel) with the right adapters and an open snake channel your in business (other then a footswitch)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 22:30 

As Noise Gate, I use a RANE model DC24 with one of the two channels to control the sound of my bass, which means that I can actually use the other channel for the voice as it is currently free.
But I confess I had not thought of this process.
In particular, how can I try? What is the procedure?

Thanks, turk 182

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 05:49 

in your case you would still need to implement phantom supply and decoupling locally to use your compressor.
the sidechain jack on the back of the unit can be used to interrupt the signal.
in thinking about your situation it occurs to me that with the right adapters the insert point of the FOH console (for your mike channel) could be returned(to the stage) through another snake channel allowing signal muting and as the FOH console would be taking care of the phantom supply problem solved.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 00:47 

I understand your suggestion. It makes sense to use the Rane DC24 Side Chain for the intended purpose but since the original question remains unresolved, I think it will be more effective to use the Insert in the FOH Console.

Interrupt the circuit remotely and directly in the Insert point by audio will not be very practical because the transmission mode of the Insert circuit is unbalanced and taking into account the physical distance between the Insert of the FOH console and the place where I intend to operate the channel, via switch. In some cases, they are about 164 feet of cable.

I can’t imagine this happening in unbalanced mode.

In the meantime, you gave me an idea:

Since the Insert point of the FOH console is silent when being switched on and off, why not use a small relay (acting on the Insert point of the FOH console at a short distance from it), and the relay coil is controlled by me on the stage?

That is, the relay shorts Send and Return, in Jack TRS.

I can easily send the DC voltage to this relay from the stage using a normal cable. Also, I can act on the relay coil with batteries since the number of times I turn on the microphone is reduced. And the duration of each of these background voice inserts is also greatly reduced.

In this way everything is “normalized” from the perspective of the console’s operator, the P48 is in charge of the console FOH, the little audio processing that I need (only a reverb and a compressor) is guaranteed by the FOH FX rack and the operator just leaves the channel of that microphone switched on.

The only thing that is not "normalized" is that I'm controlling the Insert. I think it's a fairly simple solution.
At least I feel that this solution does not endanger the equipment and also it does not go against the concept of the FOH operator.

Can you give me your feedback on this?

Thank you, Turk 182.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 05:02 

the relay idea is great, in haste i was neglecting that the signal would be unbalanced.
only problem i can think of is if the "insert" is already being used
let me know how it works out.

your welcome Revox

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 22:24 

Well ... I think this idea, if put into practice, should work without problems.
I remember using the Insert many times on the consoles of radio stations, in the early days of pirate radio stations on FM, here in Portugal. I used a small switch for opening/closing the main microphone.
At that time there were few really broadcast quality consoles that were used, so there was almost no concept of light and sound control in the studios. For this reason, I started doing this with Insert, locally.

Now just get the idea, put a high quality relay near the Insert and check if it really has the desired effect.
Regarding the use of the Insert for the purpose of dynamic processing, I believe that it will not be necessary, since the processing that I ask is just a small reverb, which is done via AUX. I do not remember any circumstance where I used the processing via Insert in my voice.
It's about background vocal , simply.

I will dedicate myself to this and i will say something about it.

Again, thanks for the idea.
See you soon.