DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 07:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from AZ
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 06:20 

Hello all,

Been into vintage audio for a long time ,from records to reel to reel, but have never really attempted a diy build. Also have been fascinated by tubes for awhile and have finally decided to take the plunge into both worlds. Doing lots of reading and learning so much. Hope to be able to do my first tube build probably starting with a flea watt amp. Looking forward to getting started. See you on the forums.

Post subject: Re: Hello from AZ
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 07:38 

Falstaff wrote:
Hello all,

Been into vintage audio for a long time ,from records to reel to reel, but have never really attempted a diy build. Also have been fascinated by tubes for awhile and have finally decided to take the plunge into both worlds. Doing lots of reading and learning so much. Hope to be able to do my first tube build probably starting with a flea watt amp. Looking forward to getting started. See you on the forums.

A few things about tubes, and then about Flea-Power, and then about DIY.

Tubes:
Are not transistors. And do not behave as transistors do. In general, watts-per-pound are many fewer. Clipping is softer, voltages are significantly (and potentially fatally) much higher, and cost-per-watt is also typically much higher, all other things being equal. With this in mind, you will need to adjust your expectations when dealing with tubes. If you have speakers that require significant power, you will need either to change them, or reduce your listening volume. Many here, including me, operate more than one system to manage those expectations. This allows one to "build" a tube based system from scratch.

Flea Power:
Bad idea if the initial foray into tubes. VDF (very dam**ed few) speakers perform well on flea power, or those that do have such a restricted dynamic range as to be very nearly useless for serious listening - unless, of course, one is listening to Gregorian Chant, solo voice, solo... well, you get the picture. And those speakers (and there are definitely some) that do perform well tend to be a mite pricey. I suggest you look into an amplifier that has at least +/-40 wpc/rms or better to start. Such an amp will give you a good introduction, and be able to drive a significant subset of good speakers available at a reasonable cost - and possibly speakers you already have.

DIY:
For your first foray, I suggest you look for an established kit, not a circuit that you are going to build yourself from a schematic. There are a lot of peripheral skills required for this (which, of course, you may already have) including manipulating sheet metal or punching an already made chassis, picking out the various transformers and more, then assembling the circuit, then testing and more. Or, consider purchasing a basic, well-supported amplifier already made (the Dynaco ST70 leaps to mind), and go through the many dozens of after-market modifications as may be made to it - and learn from an established design.

In any case, there is much to learn about this ancient technology. And best of luck with it. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Hello from AZ
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 21:55 
Project Author

Howdy Neighbor (well almost). i didn't see this before. Welcome to the forums. You will find that folks are pretty friendly and will help if they can. They will also keep you from doing dumb things and avoiding the mistakes that most of us have made in the past. Tubes are not simple, nor are they really difficult to use. A few cautions and asking about the designs you are considering to build will usually eliminate most problems. One thing that seems to trip up more individuals than most is that unless you are rather skilled in electronic construction building something from a schematic is likely to end up not working. Another thing I run into often is problems with grounding and shielding. Not nearly as simple as it appears. Anyhow hop in and enjoy the pursuit of audio

Good listening
Bruce