DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 21:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-Amp & VU Meters Power
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 13:46 

hi everybody, i'm planning my first build project, it's a TPA3116d2 amp with a TA7318p analogue VU meters & a Magic Eye Indicator Tube in a custom laser-cut acrylic enclosure. i have the separate units ready for mounting, but my question is: what's the best way to power all these units together?
have already asked around & a 24V / 3A switching power supply has been suggested, but i'm informed these can be quite noisy.. also a Toroidal Transformer was suggesed, but which one is right for this particular box of tricks?.. i dunno..
any suggestions / recommendations / pointers would be v.greatly appreciated, if i can pull off this build & the finished article functions & sounds / looks good, i will post the results here first..
many thanks in advance..

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 23:54 

id be surprised if you could a single transformer with the proper windings to accommodate all your supply needs without it being custom.
which flavor (type) Magic Eye are we talking about?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 15:10 

hi, it's a 6n3 tube, this dude here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6E2-EM84-EM87 ... 2c6cbbb37d

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 15:14 

..soz, meant to say 6E2 tube..
..it's been a long week..

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 15:32 

6e2 b+ 250 V unless your looking at one of those nifty modules from siliconray or such ...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 16:35 

it is just like the Siliconray modules but from China & in one of those acrylic chassis' that are so popular these days.
working voltage dc9 - 12v
working current <=0.5amp..
i'm a complete noob when it comes to all this, i made some enquiries at the local Hack Lab here in Edinburgh, but ,natch, no-one has built anything of this nature before. beggining to think each unit will have to be powered separately, which is far from the elegant solution i originally envisioned. Bah!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 16:54 

oh well if it's that low 9-12 vdc to supply your Magic eye circuit module that's easier to find as a standard winding or use a dropping resistor and regulator to get what you need from higher voltage rail it's only half an amp.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 17:14 

..man, i got some serious research to do.. knew it would'nt be straightforward as hooking 'em all up & pluggin' 'em in, but i'm about to retire so i guess i got the time.. can you recommend a product/supplier? i spoke with an engineer at Yuan Jing Audio in China & he suggested their own brand 24v/3a switching power supply(well, he would, would'nt he?), but these are mainly used for LED strips & can be quite noisy apparently..

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 19:48 

not sure where you are and what suppliers you have.
the tpa is gonna need 24 or so volts or do have another operating voltage chosen?
24 and 12 in one transformer should be easy to find

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 09:17 
Project Author

Hi, For a first project you have picked one that is probably unsuitable. It is one many moderately experienced builders would pass on because of the power supply and interconnection issues. The eye tube will be a problem. I would delete it from the project. They are interesting and can look cool, but only if they work properly. I have toyed with them a few times with the thought of possibly using them for various types of indicators and always decided that there were simpler ways to do it. With analog panel meters in the under $10 range and even a number of digital VU meter kits and plans out there the difficulty of getting an eye tube to function with a solid state circuit seems unjustified. The EM84-87 series tubes really need about 150-250 volts B+, a clean 6 volt heater supply and an interface with the signal being measured that has the correct time constants for VU use. So you will likely need a symmetrical DC power supply for the amp, a separate source for the heater power, and a high voltage source. All this will add complexity and IMO complexity adds to hum and noise problems. It makes me ask why you want to do some of it? If for visual concepts....so be it. But if you want quality audio....then pass on the frills. None of my designs has metering of any kind and IMO none is needed to tell me how loud something is. I am sure both myself and others will be glad to assist you, but you need to have a sense of what you are doing, what you want from it and importantly how difficult it will be to do it.

For a decent first project I would suggest a gain clone amp. Fairly easy to build and will provide a rather large amount of output (up to about 50 watts per channel) of very clean sound. Some of the best you can get at reasonable cost. Using a modular Class D (or T) amp module will also work as a stand alone project.

Just my 2 cents.

Good listening
Bruce