DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 10:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 14:04 

Dear forum members.

I am new to this partcular community and this is my introduction:

I am fortyish, male, single and live in Denmark. I have always had a strong interest in music, live and reproduced as well as audio equipment. I am not a professional or a musician though.

My particular reason to enter this forum is that I want to explore the possibilities of building an audio-system rather than just buying one.

I am mainly into analogue reproduction and vinyl. The last couple of years I have been focusing on vintage-equipment.

My current system consists of the following:

Beolab 5000 integrated amplifier. Beomaster 5000 tuner. Beovox 3000 mk I & Beovox 2500 Cube speakers. All of which are pre-1970 and in original and unmodified/non-refurbished condition. I am using a modded 1973 Lenco L-75 turntable along with various cartridges. Some are vintage, some are modern.

This system may not posses "hi-fi"-capability in a modern sense, but then again there are other qualities to life - and audio.

My intention is to build a new system, based upon tube amplification and voigt-inspired-horns.

I am looking forward to joining this forum and wish you all the best.

ps: If anyone out there is proficient in the danish language, I can recommend the forum at http://www.vintagehifi.dk

brgds kbekke

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 22:04 

Welcome!
Here you will find many friendly, knowledgable members willing to answer your questions and give advice.

:beerchug: Cheers!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 14:56 

Thanks for the welcome, Les.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 20:57 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Your present gear is pretty good and nothing to be embarrassed by. There are several individual that will be glad to assist your upgrades/ updates/ diy , just figure out what you want to do and I expect you will find the help you need.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 10:55 

Thanks for the kind words, Bruce. I am not embarrassed at all. The gear I have right now was not acquired because I couldn't afford something "better" or more modern. But purely out of interest and because I wanted to experience the performance of a premium rig from the year 1967 with my own ears.

The story of the original Beolab 5000 system is actually quite remarkable and may not be too well known outside the danish hi-fi-circuit. If time permits I might write something about it in an appropriate thread.

But my reason for entering this forum is about the next project:

You see, I had a revelation a few weeks ago. I experienced what tubes and horns can do in the proper setting and THAT my friends is something I simply need to explore a little bit. Furthermore I like the concept of building your own rig rather than just buying stuff. It even feels a little bit more "sustainable" if you get my drift.

I know pretty much what I am going to build, but there are tons of inspiration to be found here and I will most certainly also have practical issues that will benefit from the knowledge and experience at this forum.

Looking forward and keep them spinning!

kbekke

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 13:59 
Project Author

Hi, I have a Beomaster 2400. A really advanced piece of gear for its day. Many things now are not so well designed and made.

Good listening
Bruce