DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Oct 2020, 08:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 03:10 

Hi Guys,

Have been an on off browser for a while, and finally decided to join the forum.

I have always wanted to make my own amps and have always wanted to get some tubes around the place so I have taken the plunge and ordered one of the K16LS kits with the tone control.

I'm hoping I can build it without issues!

In my browsing on the site I've been trying to wrap my head around some of the schematics but having a bit of difficulty - is there a good faq to explain how to read a schematic and the process to convert it into an actual arrangement of components in the real world?

For instance, I'm giving some serious consideration to trying to build the oddblock tube amps on this site, but I was wondering since I have a 240V 50Hz supply here in Melbourne, would it be possible to make that design without a power transformer, but rectifying the mains with some filtering and to use an IC driven power regulator to drive the heater portion of the circuit?

Anyway, sorry for the really noobish questions, but I'm really trying to learn!

Nice to meet you all, Regards,
Stuart

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 13:10 
Editor

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum. Melbourne has a good audio crowd.

The US Navy NEETS module 6 is a good place to start for those new to tubes.

Keep us posted in how you make out with the K16. If you have any questions or run into problems, feel free to start up a new thread in the tubes section.

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 15:26 

Thanks Gio!

I'll check out that module after work :)

My intention was to simply build the amp on the breadboard to start with and then eventually think about what enclosure I should move it to when and if I start modifying it.

Even though I'm not doing anything groundbreaking and my ears probably can't pick up a lot of the things you guys can, would it be worth my doing a build log?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 16:51 
Project Author

Stuii - where ya' from?

I'm from down Frankston way. I'd go for the oddwatts as a good amp to build. As long as you can supply the HT+ at or near the right voltage and a tranni big enough to supply the current required any well filtered PS will work. PP amps usually are pretty easy on PSs.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 23:53 

I'm up in Templestowe (North east)

yeah the oddblocks look pretty awesome, I'm thinking of doing something similar to those or one of those for number 2

have you made many?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 04:20 
Project Author

Templestow is only an hour's drive. If you want to come and take a listen to my system e-mail me. I'm off work for the next 10 days.

I have not built the oddwatt amps but I followed Bruce through their development and refinement. Bruce was very keen to get the best out of the amp so I know you would be pleased with the build.

I would suggest one of his kits because you know then you have everything you need to build it. http://oddwattaudio.com/

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 05:40 

Thanks for the offer - it's very kind of you - I'd love to take you up on it!

I'm planning to build that k16ls kit to start and then see where I get to.

Thanks for the lead on the navy tube info, it's a good read - I think it'll take me a while to get through it

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 13:02 
Editor

Hi Stuii, please do start a build log for the K-16 kit as there is not too much info on that version of the kits.
Cheers