DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 05:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 14:22 

Searching for info on diy speakers as I was wondering if it were possible to build better speakers than bought for the same dollars. Rather than reinvent the wheel I'm hoping to gain the benefit of the knowledge of members here.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 20:29 
Editor

Hi Bernie, welcome to the forum.

With the exception of some mass produced speakers that they practically give away, you should be able to build better quality for the same cost or less. The tradeoff is the time you spend building them.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 08:03 
Project Author

After many listening sessions at the mass market distributors like Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter (Going out of business BTW).. The speakers I built for $280 absolutely blow away anything they had shown me. In my opinion, and I am sure to get flack about this, they beat the Martin Logans at $4k.
So my answer is yes absolutely. BTW Gio just sent me some drivers he wont be using. They cost about $11-$13 each at PartsExpress. With about $30 of maple I figure the speakers I build should be comparable to a set of bookshelfs that would retail for $200. Picking the driver is very important. After that you can probably get away with sticking it in a bass reflex cabinet and call it good. Some people will get much more fancy with the cabinet but as they say "your mileage may vary" and I would add "how far are you willing to drive to make your mileage vary." Basically, if you can get great sound in a bass reflex why bother with complicated cabs?
Ri

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 11:52 
Editor

RiGuy wrote:
Picking the driver is very important. After that you can probably get away with sticking it in a bass reflex cabinet and call it good. Some people will get much more fancy with the cabinet but as they say "your mileage may vary" and I would add "how far are you willing to drive to make your mileage vary." Basically, if you can get great sound in a bass reflex why bother with complicated cabs?

A couple of things. Single driver units are generally simple to make and can be very nice with the right driver (as noted). But it is important to note that they will not do all types of music (a lot of bass, hard and loud). If that is you musical preference you should be looking at a multi-way system. For a novice, crossover design is not simple, so I would look at using a proven DIY design for a first time build.

Ri - did you get the drivers?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 18:26 
Project Author

Ooops. Bernie I should have mentioned that I am talking about full range drivers. So like Gio said thats one single driver, covers the whole frequency range that is normally needed and you dont need crossovers.

Gio. No the mailman left them at the post office. I cant stand this guy. He is always messing up my mail. I get them Monday.
Ri