DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 08:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: new member intro
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 07:45 

hello to all here at DIY, I just want to say i'm happy to be here and glad that I found this group. Being a holdover music hobbyist from the late 50's my first guitar inspirations were Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, and Duane Eddy. Recently I have been buying old raw speakers from flea markets and building cabinets of different sizes and materials plugging in a few small wattage nothing special amps and simply having a lot of fun and learning the cabinet and wiring part of it. My musician friends tell me I'm "really getting into this", I guess they are correct because I coming here for a bit of support and "feedback". I had a few weeks of electronics in trade school but eventually opted for carpentry which means there are many gaps in my knowledge of electronics. Having said that, my goal is to learn as much as possible so that I can complete a small low wattage (Fender Champ) type of tube amp and have enough confidence to troubleshoot and repair some of my own tube amps....Happy Easter to all and thank you.

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 14:06 

Recently divorced senior at 68yrs. The old saying, "She got the gold mine & I got the shaft"! still holds true to this day. Ha, Ha! The reason i am here on this site, While in the Army as an MP 1967-70 part of which, i was stationed at the presidio of San Francisco, ca. I had the most amazing experience of fortunately being invited inside the home of our company commander. He had recently purchased a new stereo system from the big city, And WOW!!! I know right then and there i had never heard music as it was suppose to be heard. He and his wife, had such a wide assortment of music taste, From the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin, Dylan, She liked a lot of Jazz & classical. But everything sounded wonderful on that sound system. I remember listening to the Chamber Brothers "time" album. I was completly awestruck looking at the speaker with the revereration of the word "time" and having the illusion of the sound coming from a tunnel a very deep tunnel. OMG! when he played Donavon's Hurdy Gurdy man, i promised myself someday, someway, sometime, i will get me such a system Well that time has come.! I have always loved music, so i have always taken special caution and care when it came to protecting my hearing. I have always used the little foam ear plugs at concerts and around noisy power equipment. I never would have imagined it would be this late in my life before taking the plunge into the world of AUDIOPHILE SOUND SYSTEMS I know this introduction is quite long, but i could really use your help. I spent my whole life working w/ overtime, built my own home, garage, repaired all our cars, trucks, and appliances. raising 5 kids, mostly raising the 13 grandchildren and now we have 4 great grandchildren. After the divorce, I am left living in & out of a 5th travel trailer. But it is a nice one. 36ft. triple slides Montana Mountaineer and a real nice Dodge cummins 4x4 as the tow vehicle. Before leaving the homestead i removed all my back-up power equipment. 12-6v golf cart batteries Xantrex inverter/charger, batt. monitor & solar panels. So before leaving this introductory portion of your site i would first like to thank you for taking the time to read this, 2nd i am asking, actually begging, for all the years of the members knowledge that come here to this site, knowledge that i am sorry to say I have not had the time to acquire. I was able after returning home from the service to take 2 semesters of electronics at a community collage and worked in the electronic equipment repair center. My father took a correspondence course in the 50s for radio & TV repair he did very well and let me help him build (well i watched mostly) his own tube tester, oscilloscope, voltage, amp & ohm meter. My point here is, seeing my cash resorces do have limit's, i believe my best option to start with, would be to build my own amp from a kit. The RV parks & campgrounds will have close neibours but i don't want to limit myself with to small of a system in case i relocate. I recently purchased a pair of Grado GS 1000i's all my music at this time is on my computer as MP3s when down loaded from my buddies CD collection (which is huge) i recorded at the highest bit rate 325 some maybe are 256. i been looking at the Elekit TU-8200 w/ the DAC what is your opinion on this, am i heading in the right direction? my concern is at age 68 and on SS security I still have 1/2 my state pension left, i think you can understand about my nervousness in making a mistake. This has to be a one time deal. i would like to stay in and around the $4,000 to $5,000 range any and all input will be greatly appreciated. i have at this time some fairly new infinity tower and book shelf speakers, also a new Onkyo single drawer cd player but there packed up right now and i don't have the model numbers thanks again for you time

Post subject: Aloha
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2015, 15:54 

Aloha from the island of Oahu. I am a retired Air Force electronic warfare tech who has been working as a biomedical researcher for the last 26 years. I recently brought my Teac X1000R out of retirement (I bought it new in 1983) along with my Carver 6250 receiver. After a belt change and cleaning up of the RTR and a R&R of the output relays on the Carver I picked up a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers I recapped and installed Crites titanium tweeters in. Now I want to build a DIY tube amp hence my joining this site. I have been doing some audio equipment repair over the last few months. I am not totally clueless but am definately rusty concerning basic electronic principles, heck I had tube theory back in 1969! So please bear with me as i continue to learn and ask questions.

Post subject: Re: Aloha
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2015, 18:11 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forums. There are several projects posted that might interest you. Be sure to see if there is a topic in the tube section relating to the project. Most have at least one and they contain updates and other good information.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Re: Aloha
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 00:35 

Thanks Bruce, I will check them out.

Post subject: Hello!!!
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015, 20:24 

I am an amateur bass player and electronic enthusiast living in Brooklyn. I have attended college for a few semesters in an attempt get a degree in Electrical Engineering but I'm currently unable to afford being a full time student. I'm am a Fender bass fanatic and prefer the the Jazz bass. My bass amp is a Mesa Boogie Walkabout. Recently I invested in a Sansamp Tech 21 pedal. I was shocked to find out I could bypass my amplifiers preamp and play directly into the power amp section by sending my pedals signal to the effects return jack. In order to understand my amp and it's connection better I somehow managed to get a schematic. I have questions about certain sections of it's schematic. Is this a relevant place to ask questions that are loosely related to DIY electronics? Also, I'm not sure the schematic for my amp is supposed to be available. Will I be violating guidelines? Is there a better forum for me?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 16:18 

Hey everyone! Brad from San Francisco here... I'm a software engineer who studied computer engineering around a decade ago, so I've forgotten almost everything I learned. I've been a musician and semi-audiophile for a long time now and want to get into building stuff as a hobby... My first project was a suitcase portable speaker system and hope to soon start building some guitar amplifier cabinets... Figure this might be a good place to get advice and feedback as I'm essentially an electronics noob at this point.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 10:54 

Great forum! I have been lurking around here for about a year on and off and am going ot be starting a small tube amp project for my office! Look forward to learning!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 13:43 

Boerderij_Kabouter sounds definitely Dutch to me :-)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 14:44 

Right on. Lived near Zwolle in Lemelerveld when I was young (3-6yo), and have taken the farmhouse gnome as my nom de plume.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 62  Next