DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 10:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 18:12 
Editor

Hi and welcome to the forum. Which amp kit did you finish and how did do you like it?

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 13:13 

Gio wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Which amp kit did you finish and how did do you like it?

It was a Bottlehead kit for the SEX integrated amp. I like the sound of it very much, but I only have an entry level Adcom amp for comparison.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 14:40 

Hello!

I'm BW and I'm slightly new to DIY and Tube Electronics.

I know lots of basics, but everything I ever learned came from someone else and more often in an informal environment than a classroom.
Youtube and books are great resources to learn from but I find when people come together based on the same interests everyone benefits.

Anyway, I hope to make new friends and share ideas and learn a thing or two....so thanks for having me!

I hope I can contribute and be a helpful member of the group because I like teaching at least as much as I like learning from others.
I'm looking forward to getting to know you and sharing ideas about electronics and other "DIY" topics.

Sincerely,

Christian (a.k.a. "Buttweasel")

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:26 

Hi everyone, i'm Frank, a french canadian from Qc. I had done my industrial electronic degree and discovered my passion for Audio amplifier 2 years ago. The first project i had made a not so starving student from Pete's website for the chrismas present to my dad. I had play alot in tube guitar amplifier and repair some. All the amp i had made are from exsisting one with availlable schematic and support. My parts bin are growing with the broken and fleabay old stuff i can have a deal on. When i had decided to make one small amp from ground up, i decided to join this community to get acces to all this great knowlege! I want to learn and i am happy that some are willing to share there knowlege, So that about it!

Frank

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 10:57 
Editor

Hi Christian and Frank. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 10:21 

Nice to be amongst the veteran's and the newbies who (try to) understand electron's, elektromagnetic field's and the many laws on the matter!

My name is Mathieu, Mathew for the English inclined under us.
I just reached my 66'th year and want to take up the old hobby from my yought; fiddling with electronics and especially vacuum-tubes.

50 years ago i used to handle quite some ECC81 / 82 / 83 tubes.
I knew about EL84 as well as EL34.
I wound a few of my own output-transformers, built a balanced 2 x 6L6 amplifier, a FM amplifier and even some (illegal) medium power transmitters.
Later i went on with semiconductors and then I left the hobby completely, having other things to do with my life.

I remember that we shot many hundred's of tubes with a air-rifle just for fun and exercise.
Now i realise that one never should do away with good old functioning technique, even as it seems to become outdated...

After leaving the hobby i did a technical study (electronics) at the technical Highschool in Eindhoven.
So the theoretical base for my former hobby clearly came after my fiddling in the dark with tubes and high voltages.

My professional life has been software (C/C++ programming) and i owned a small software company.
Software and electronics have a lot in common i can assure you.

Now, i gathered again a few power transformers, a few output transformers (single Ended Ultra Linear with shielding-grid branch).
I managed to buy a big box with old and some new tunes via www.marktplaats.nl , more then 300 :thumbsup:
I even invested in some EL34's EL84's as well as double-triodes, and now i want to start with a simple stereo SE UL ending-stage.
The Power Supply will be tube-based too and it will be the first thing for me to do.

My intention is to do all the components (Power Supply, Endstage, preamplifier, tonestack and perhaps RIAA magneto-dynamic pre-amp) as separate projects, adapting the one to the other as you go.
All in mono, and only after completion the thing will get it's own chassis and will be duplicated to be stereo.

I even am thinking about extra functionality: apart from being a pure HiFi stereo-amp I could make some additions to use it as guitar on one channel and microphone on the other.
My daughter plays electric guitar and electric violin, that's why.
But that will take some research first in the world of electric instruments.

Already i have a question (on power transformers), but i will do that in the appropriate thread one of these days.

Nice meeting all of you anyway!

Tjeu

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 11:24 

Hello All,

I'm Bow from Southwest Arizona.
Have been building Tube Guitar amps for a number of years, and I am restoring a Heathkit AA-151 that my father built back in the mid '60s

I recently put my Stereo back together after a couple moves and I am able to relax with the sweet sounds of spinning Vinyl once again.
This past weekend I upgraded from my LAB-2250 Linear Tracking Turntable to a Dual 1246 that I picked up and did a few repairs on, but I also figure out I need a Phono Preamplifier.

I decided I wanted to add some Tube into my Solid State System (Yamaha RX-V870) and that lead me to this forum/Website.
I'm hoping to find a solid project and start slinging some solder.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 20:04 

Hello everyone.

I received a simple K-501 tube kit for Christmas and after reading this forum for a few weeks I joined. Looking forward to any help I can receive from other members on how to get this amp going. I'm a computer network administrator for a large enterprise network with a background in basic electronics and telecommunications systems (i.e. PBX, PA Systems, Voice Mail etc.) So I might be a little rusty down to the component level as it's been a while but looking forward to playing with the solder iron and multi-meter. I promise lots of pictures of all work. Thanks! ~Nick

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 15:56 
Project Author

Hi Bow, Where in SW AZ. I'm nearly south central in Sierra Vista. Nice to run into someone from this area. The desert doesn't seem very conducive to vinyl folk.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 15:58 
Project Author

Hi njmitchell999, The 501 is a good place to start....just beware audio is addictive. The next thing you know you will want a 10 watt per channel then a 25 and so on. :)

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 63  Next