DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 14:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: hello
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 11:48 

Hello folks,my name is mick nice to be here.I have a love of music and audio equipement only thing is i cant afford exotic expensive amplifiers.So i thought maybe i could eventually build one or at least mod one.I have no clue and have never made anything like this.where do i start?

Post subject: Re: hello
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014, 10:05 
Editor

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum. The starting point would be learning some electronics basics like parts identification and reading a schematic. On the hands on side, you will have to learn how to solder. There are plenty of youtube videos to start you off and then you will need practice. After that, there are many simple kits to try out.

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014, 18:11 

Hi. Here to learn.... I know only the tip of the icebergs right now.
I am a luthier, and effects pedal builder, and have tinkered with chip amps, but im ready for more power, AND BETTER TONE!!!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 10:54 

Hi All,

Very glad to have found this site, and very excited to start building my first amp. I'm from Perth, Australia as well, odd coincidence.

For those that care, I'm a Mechatronics student, though I like to call it Robotics. It impresses the ladies (not). I like playing with electronics and circuits, HV scares me though. I also like playing with engines. I'm not great with any of them :)

Anyway, I'm hoping there's a few of you out there who can point me in the right direction. I'm a poor student with not so much time. I'm looking to build my first amp. Ideally I would like to buy a nice kit but they are sort of out of my budget, and I think I could achieve the same buying my own components. I can get a lot from University as well.
I've been reading a lot and had a look at some projects on this site. Ideally I would like to go for a simple circuit, probably a SET circuit. I figure a simple SET will have fewer components so I can purchase better quality components. And less chance of me getting it wrong. Something like this: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-SE-Tube-Amp/

However an SET amp is not a necessity and some more reading and I stumbled upon this: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/fun ... -2012.html
In 2012 it cost <$300 (no idea what currency) and was apparently a very nice sounding amp. I really have little idea of the different sounds behind different sorts of amps, only the difference in theoretical sounds, so I guess it doesn't matter what I go for.

Anyway, I am rambling. Any advice in terms of first amp design would be greatly appreciated. Budget of around $300 would be good, but not in kit (once off payment) form. Additionally, I struggle with understanding transformers, particularly the output transformers. Do they need to be matched with speakers or tubes? How do you decide which transformer to get? Is it just the most expensive I can afford? I am not looking for the most amazing sound quality or the best looks, just something to get me started

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 10:04 
Editor

Hi Felix welcome to the forum. The tube amp specific questions are best asked in the tube forum where they will get more visibility.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 14:04 

Hello everyone!

first posts here, I am trying to learn things about audio signals, amplifiers etc...
Have done 2-3 stompboxes, and now trying to complete a small solidstate guitar amp.

Found the forum while searching for TDA2050 for my guitar amp, there is a very nice topic about it!

greetings,

sot.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 18:52 

Hi everyone... long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've built amplifiers before, both tube and solid state... but it's been a long time. A LOOOOOONG time. My son is a budding audiophile, and it's time for him to add a tube amp to his collection, so I'm going to build one. I look forward to meeting many of you as I undertake this endeavor!

Thanks!
David.

Post subject: New Member Introductions
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 02:28 

Hi everybody,
I am from China, just set up my studio making vaccum tube audio system, i have been doing this since university,
What i made is FULL-HANDMADE , and quanlity graunteed,
i want to learn more about this but lack of resources in china, so here is what i want ! yay!

and here is one of my baby
comment are welcomed

Attachment:
T220bjXAXXXXXXXXXX_!!361865585.jpg
Attachment:
T2NIHkXs0XXXXXXXXX_!!361865585.jpg

Attachment:
12.jpg

Attachment:
T2gCnjXwdXXXXXXXXX_!!361865585.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 04:34 

G'day all, new member from Queensland, Australia. I'm a avid DIYer with an interest in audio (especially phono stuff), electronics and Amateur Radio. My active callsign is vk4fuq and I contribute to our weekly WIA news service by reading the 'operational news' segment. Long live DIY! Regards, Felix (vk4fuq).

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 00:00 

Hi Everyone, I'm New here.

Long time lurker/ reader. Got hooked on Tube audio a few years back and the passion has grown. I built a few starving student amps/ MiniMax, modded a few Bravo V2's, and bought a few too. The more I read the more I fall down the rabbit hole and more questions I have. Hope over time to understand the design side and why we do this or that. I have a background in the automotive field and commercial access systems for building security.

Jluv

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next