DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 May 2018, 23:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2008, 21:11 

Heh, this is a Hi-Fi Audio forum, not a spy forum!

Post subject: Hi from Atlanta
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 10:36 

Hello everyone, I am Bill from Atlanta.

I started doing DIY a couple years ago but in my teens worked as a car audio installer and attended the Installer's Institute in Holly Hill FL which is run by Metra. I learned sub design, enclosure building, ABS plastic work, crossover design and leather work (yeah baby!) while there. We even completed the wiring for a Hiphonics limo...it was pretty cool.

Since starting my craze and obsession I have built:

Sealed Jordan JX92S
3" desktop full-range from Tangband 3" W3-593 (I think)
5.25" sub from Tang-band
several DIY t-amps
A 4-in/3-out single stage opamp pre
A Burson discrete op-amp pre

Working on:

Aikido 5687
Aikido 24v

Planning stages:

KT88 SET amp
Adding Aurum Cantus tweeter to Jordans

I also will be the lead sales rep. for a new ID company named Tweak City Audio. Our lineup that is in production includes a 3" full-range, 5.25" two way bookshelf, 25w digital amp with sub-out, 10" sub, 18" sub and a DAC. Can't wait to get that off the ground!!

My 2ch system:

PC running rhapsody through Zhaolu 1.3 DAC
Onix CD-5 with OPA627 and LM4562 op-amps
Home-made Burson preamp
Home-made t-amp
Home-made Jordans
Onix X-sub

TV System:

DTV HD
Yamaha HTR5790
4 Onix X-LS (2 in ferarri red)
1 Onix X-CS

Theater:

Toshiba HD-A35
Onkyo 805
Optoma HD70
Rocket 760, Rocket 200, Swan Diva 5.2R, Onix Ref .5 speakers
AV123 MFW-15 sub

Post subject: Re: Hi from Atlanta
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 11:25 
Project Author

We're glad you are here Bill. You have some knowledge to share and some interesting projects. Keep us posted! :)
Ri

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 12:06 
Editor

Yes Bill, welcome.

Good to see that you have the same DIY disorder as us.

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 12:52 

It is the only way for me to acquire new gear! My wife told me nothing new and I said well, I get one of everything from TCA and I am going to still build stuff...other than that, you're right...no new gear. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 12:55 
Project Author

No pill is gonna cure my ill. I got a bad case of DeeeeeeEyeWhy

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:13 

Hi to you all DIY friends. I'm George from Athens - Greece and i'm 42 years old.

My first time with a soldering iron on hand was back just before High School at the age of 11. The early DIY days and up to 1986 my projects were only RF transmiters.

My audio DIY projects begun almost 3 years ago. My first amp was a EL84 PP, using the Simple EL84 PP schematic with also an EL84 as a driver triode strapped. A few months ago the driver changed to the Russian 6E6P tetrode, triode strapped, CCS loaded, (IXYS 10M45s) at 15mA. Also the CCS LM317 (EL84 cathodes it's not any more grounded but connected to a -24V PSU giving much more gain and headroom to output.

Second project was the Blue Velvet preamp, by Dick Olsher. Still using it but tend to drive my amps through DAC's only. A much cleaner and quality sound IMHO.

My 3rd project was a 6V6 PP amp driven by a 6SL7 LTP CCS (phase splitter) at 1.2 mA. Also a nice sounding amp.

Another finished project is a recent low wattage SE amp using the very robust 6E5P Russian tetrode in output, triode strapped, driven by a 6n1p (unbypassed cathode - gain ~ 8). With the maximum as data dissipation 8.3 Watts, the 6E5P gives me 2 beautiful Watts. The PSU is tube rectified with the 5AR4 on duty.
When I first time heard that together with a 98 - 100 dB BLH, I was shocked what such a combination can give you. That put me into serous thoughts as i have already collect all the needed parts for a Gm70 SE amp in monoblock configuration. The breadboard version comes soon to the end.

If you need photos of the above mentioned projects, please tell me. (It's been a few days that received the Super 8's die cast Audio Nirvana's for a Half Chang speaker project)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 09:05 
Editor

Greetings aroS3 and welcome to the forum.

Your projects sound very interesting. I (and I am sure others) would love to see some pictures of them.

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 15:39 

Would definitely love to see the projects.

Greece is beautiful, I was lucky enough to pull into Corfu while I was in the Navy. Your bread is to die for and I had some veal stew in red-wine sauce that has never been matched. :P

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 18:54 
Project Author

Glad to have you here!
I will surely visit Greece in the next few years. My wife and I truly enjoyed our trip to Italy and she has been to Greece before and thinks that I would love it. As long as there is Feta I will love just about anything.
Your projects and interests will surely find good company here. Many people here are interested and experimenting with tubes.
I have the Audio Nirvana Super 12s. I really really love these speakers. So glad you have found them as well. I am sure you will enjoy them. PLEASE please post your AN 8 pics and let us know how your projects go. Also we would love to see schematics of the projects you have done and pics to as well as your listening impressions. It will surely spark discussion.
Thanks for coming to visit us and welcome! :)
Ri

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62  Next