DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yo.
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 08:36 
Editor

Hi jspace, welcome to the forum.

What part of the world are you from?

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 09:48 

I thought it best to start with an introduction.

I'm a former Senior Director of IT/EngineeringServices/TechnicalSupport/CustomerService, and hold an MSEE and MBA.

I currently own/operate an Audio Mastering Studio in southern New Hampshire.

I've been involved, at some level, with audio and electronics for nearly 40 years; and have been a musician for at least that long. I ran FOH live sound for many years in New England for both upcoming artists and established act, and have also traveled across the United States performing in different bands; both as a member, and as a 'gun for hire'.

I've done extensive research and hands-on learning in the past 3 years in the field of vintage tube audio system restoration; primarily in passive component selection, amp modifications, tube manufacturer selection, and presentation of both strategic theories and tactical implementations in regards to the benefits of 'clean, regulated power' to audio and video peripherals.

I'll do what I can to contribute from time to time.

Best Regards,
Falcon Eddy

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 19:03 
Editor

Hi Falcon Eddy,

Great to have you here! Since you know about Audio Mastering, perhaps you could direct us to some great recordings which is something we are always on the lookout for and quite often very elusive.

Cheers,
Gio

Post subject: Re: Yo.
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 21:53 
Project Author

Thats kind of what I would call a troll :)
Welcome!
Ri

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 21:55 
Project Author

Welcome!
IRT the great recordings... if you can think of some great ROCK recordings... Thats what I am into and sure would appreciate your input.
Ri

Post subject: Hello !
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 23:30 

I've been "lurking" 'round here for many months, but I am finally going to try to take the plunge into building and designing some tube audio stuff - it looks like fun.
I just ordered a K-12 amp kit from the tubedepot guys.
I've reconditioned an old RCA radio or two and raised a friend's father's old Sansui 500 from the dead, and am an electrical engineer with 24 years of experience in a variety of stuff from IBM super minicomputer programming to professional digital audio workstations and synthesizer in the 80's/early90's to industrial robotics and windows programming and about everything in between. But, I am still quite "new" to the glass audio scene.
I am also a musician, used to be a "semi-pro" musician but engineering is my main gig and I just play for fun now (sax, guitar, harmonica, keyboard).
I am hoping to continue to learn and enjoy the information exhange on this forum.

It is a valuable resource and a friendly place to visit !

Post subject: Re: Hello !
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 06:54 

ft,

Welcome to the forum. Many of us are new to glass and some of use are even new to the whole DIY side of things. Please feel free to post when and where you like. Some of the threads could use an injection of new blood and new life. Oh, and we like pictures. Many of us like to know where other members hail from so fill in you location on your profile.

May your electrons flow and you notes be clear,

alan

Post subject: Re: Hello !
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 13:16 
Editor

Hi ftsolutions, welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 04:29 

A short presentation.

I am a tube hobbyist from Sweden. Having been into electronics since early bronze age (late 60's) and into tubes sin mid 80's when I started to build an EL34-PP but sold it half finished due to lack of money for the bills.

Today I have an ample collection of various amps, two ready-made and several in various stages of completen, some even working:
Past Audio M3 - huge monoblocks from Russia. 6 6L6 PP cathode coupled (circlotron)
Priboj UM50-204S - a Russian construction that has undergone a major rebuild, from 50W ClassAB to 12W ClassA, trioded.

Octal 6 (the Mapletree Audio Design preamp), though I have dropped the 6SN7-PP - working
Blue Velvet - preamp based on 6SN7 with inductive volume control - running, but some mechanical work left
Stealth - also MAD, a 6W PP-amp with 12A6 (in metal housing) - working
6AQ5PP - paraphase phase splitter - working (my workhorse)
ECL82 SE STC - based on an odd principle called SuperTriode Connection - working
2A3-SE - Simple design, still not ready
6N6P-PP - a very simple 4W amp based on Russian 6N6P tubes - still assembling
829-SE - I build a pair of 6550-SE monoblocks but the power transformers were to weak. Will rebuild them using 829 or 6L6-PSE.
??? - Have got a pair of Edcor 7K6 25W transformers, have serious plans for an Oddwatt 6L6, but the mains transformer is not heavy enough ... :worried: :confused: :eek: :down: :mad:
??? - Have another pair of heavier 6K6 transformer. Could be the heart of a hybrid 6L6 amp OR a 6550 Oddwatter or .... EL156 Oddwatter???? :idea: :up: :wizard: :confused:

yeah and I forgot - the submin amp based on 5702 - 0,8W in SE and the Darling (that is humming badly) and a 6AQ5-SE microamp, I am squeezing this one into a very small box.

My secondhobby is corset construction and sewing. Will lead a weekend class this coming weekend o how to sew a Victorian corset.

Read more about it here: http://www.pastisch.se

Glad to be here! 8-)

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 07:09 

Oooops I forgot the 6T9-PP based partly on the project here in DIY Audio Projects AND the Six Tee Nine described in AudioXpress.

I found a rather odd but sweet ( :birthday: ) chassi for that one:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 50  Next