DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 16:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 15:09 

Beginner to this whole DIY Audio thing. Part of my reason for my exploration is that my current amp and pre-amp have a hum that I need to fix. Plus I have always been interested in the analog/tube concept. It started when I saw my first McIntosh system.

My First love, outside of my family, is fly fishing. My second love is music.
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue and B1tches Brew (wont except proper spelling) are two favs
Blues - Clapton, SRV, Derek Truks, Albert King, Allman Brothers, Susan Tedeschi, and Doyle II
Brian Wilson-Beach Boys most notably Pet Sounds
Baroque especially Telemann and Pachelbel

Current System pls don't laugh
NAD 1300 Pre Amp
NAD 2400 Amp
Integra CD 6 disc CDC 3.1
B&W DM602 S2

Tight Lines

Alan B

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 16:52 

Welcome to the forums Alan. It sounds to me like you have a nice setup, there's nothing wrong with NAD so I can't see that people would laugh. Here in the UK NAD give about the best bang for your buck out of anything else unless you want to really lash out some money, or build it yourself. A number of builders here have the NAD C542 CD player as their player (I think I got the Model right).

It's good to see you here.

Kind regards, John. Salisbury, UK

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 17:25 
Editor

Hi Alan and welcome.

I doubt people will laugh. Like John said, I think NAD gear provides excellent value. You can likely spend a lot more for little improvement. I have a NAD C162 (preamp) and a NAD C521i (CDP). Also a NAD 1020 in the closet that needs some TLC.

The most fun I get from this hobby is seeing how little money it can take to build nice gear.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 18:59 
Project Author

Glad to see you here Alan!
I have hum in most of my equipment right now. I am following some of Gio's advice and building an isolation transformer. I think this week I will do it, but I got sidetracked building another amp tonight :)
I have been considering using NAD gear as well. I really like building amps but surround is proprietary stuff. So, NAD surround processors can be had for cheap cheap cheap on ebay and then I can just output to my amps. Hopefully it will not try to color the sound and will just, well, surround me with sound :)
NAD definitely seems to be entry level true HIFI and is gear that gets people really into beautiful sound. Again, glad to have you here and fire away on your questions.
Ri

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 09:00 

Thank you fpr the kind greetings and thoughts.

As of this last weekend I have started to assemble my first DIY project. It is going to be a Spare Time Gizmo 6T9 UL Tube Amp. I choose this route based on my desire to build a tube amp, and some interesting posts by Mark Houston. I have two Edcor XSE15-8-5K output transformers on order, unfortunately they will not ship for two weeks. I have a new soldering station on its way too.

I am going to try and modify a Lafayette Stereo Receiver chassis to hold the kit. I like the older style switches in that unit. All the guts will go, some to parts and some to storage or trash.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

Alan

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 12:02 
Project Author

Sounds fun Alan.
Start a thread if you need some help or praise :)
We would of course love to see pics when you get your parts and get started.
Ri

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 06:06 

My soldering station arrived, I went for a Hakko. Next step is to create a workspace in the basement, and since the rain is supposed to fall the whole weekend I think I will get started today.

I did hit a little bump though. I ran out of money for parts. Long story of spending before you have it, combined with a craiglist scam. Live and Learn. The funds will be provided at some point. The good news is that I never shipped the item to the scammer. So, I just have to resell it.

One other item. As part of this path I have decided to return to College. On Thursday, I applied to RIT http://www.rit.edu/ in their Electronic Engineering Technology BS program http://www.rit.edu/cast/ectet/bseet.php. It takes 5 years to complete due to co-op requirements in year 3, 4 and 5. However, I already have a BS so no liberal arts classes will be required. Which means for the first to years I can work and go to school.

I am not sure what has me more excited, school or my DIY project.

Alan

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 10:57 
Project Author

WOW RIT is a great school for electronics. Nice job Alan! Now we can all come to you for advice :)
Great news and I am definitely happy for you. Hope it is fun for you.
Ri

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 11:46 
Editor

Good luck with school Alan!

You should definitely be more excited about DIY! ;)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 11:47 

RiGuy wrote:
WOW RIT is a great school for electronics. Nice job Alan! Now we can all come to you for advice :)
Great news and I am definitely happy for you. Hope it is fun for you.
Ri

Thanks. As I said I am pretty excited.

Hold off on the questions for a while, I should get at least a class done first ;-)